Involvement Fair Continues Despite Construction

In the midst of construction for the new science building, California Lutheran University hosted the annual Club Involvement Fair on Tuesday, Sept. 18 on the Spine.

The Involvement Fair is an opportunity for students to learn about different clubs and organizations offered at Cal Lutheran and to sign up for any of interest.

Club information tables started at the edge of the construction site near the Ahmanson Science Center and stretched all the way to the library. The Latter-day Saint Student Association was the closest in proximity to the construction, but members of the organization said the construction did not seem to have too much effect on sign-ups.

โ€œI donโ€™t think the noise affected it as much as having part of the area blocked off,โ€ย  LDSSA member Emily Sharpe said. โ€œWe were in the same spot as last year and weโ€™ve had pretty much the same turnout as last year, so I donโ€™t think it has really affected the fair too much.โ€

In previous years, Clubsย &ย Organizations set up information tables beginning at the staircase near Memorial Parkwayย and finishing near the Swenson Center. However, with the construction site blocking off spaceย for tables at the end of the Spine, members had to cram tables close together in front of the construction zone and downย reaching down toward Starbucks and the library.

David Nelson, associate professor of history and LDSSA adviser, said he liked the change because the shorter distance between each club table made it easier for students together around and learn about the clubs.

โ€œโ€œThe challenge with [the] Involvement Fair isnโ€™t as much about the construction as it is about the fact that the only time you see heavy traffic is in-between class times, so you have a very small window to talk to people,” Nelson said.

Coordinator for Student Involvement Cambria Teter said she felt the fair setup was better than in past years.

โ€œI do not believe the construction hindered the event today, and to be honest, having the tables line north up to Gumby actually made the event really unique this year,” Teter said.ย 

Junior Austinย Wong said the construction didn’t stop him from going to different club tables and talking to club representatives.ย 

โ€œThe only thing that happened was a little noise down by the site which made it a little difficult to hear, but other than that I thought the fair went well,” Wong said.

By Scott Roberts