Regals soccer wins physical conference opener

The soccer field looked more like a battlefield in a game featuring three yellow cards as the CLU  Women’s soccer team earned their first Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference win against La Verne, 1-0.

Senior Trevor Koons witnessed the aggressiveness.

“You could tell that LaVerne was trying to play a dirty game”, said Koons, “But our girls kept playing and fighting back.”

The two teams fought back and forth to score while the game was scoreless. It wasn’t until 22 minutes later that senior Lindsay Armenta scored what turned out to be the only goal of the night from a free kick.

“At first I was nervous, but once I stepped up to the ball I knew that it was just another routine shot, and all I had to do was put it in the back of the net,” said Armenta.

Armenta took the shot, bending the ball past the La Verne keeper to put the Regals on the board.

“Fortunately, we were able to focus and put one away with Lindsay’s awesome free kick,” said junior defender Anna Medler.

Freshman Melissa Abdelkerim, found herself in the middle of the hard play that was happening on the field, which drew a yellow card in the 61st minute.

“Both teams played hard, but it was more of a wrestling match than a soccer game,” said Abdelkerim. “I’m happy we pushed through and came out with a win, though, and are starting to gain confidence and chemistry each game we play.”

Opportunities were hard to come by throughout the game for the Leopards as the Regals used shut down defense led by Medler and senior Kirsten Dipippo to hold LaVerne to four shots, only two of which were on target. In comparison, CLU put out 15 shots of their own and five on target.

“We definitely connected better the second half. We should have won 3 or 4-0 but we’re happy we got the win,” said Senior midfielder Nicole Rains.

“We have a long way to go but we’re improving every game and looking forward to advancing to the NCAA tournament.”

The Regals (5-1, 2-0 SCIAC) will be on the road for their next three SCIAC games as they travel to play the Sagehens of Pomona –Pitzer and the Occidental Tigers.

The next home game is slated to be at William Rolland Stadium on Sunday Sept. 23rd as the Regals will host the Banana Slugs of UC Santa Cruz at 1p.m.

Nicho DellaValle
    Published Sept. 19, 2012