Bring Back Fitness Center Classes

Struggling to keep up with your studies while also maintaining an active lifestyle can be extremely difficult.

California Lutheran University offers workout classes that are held weekly in the dance room of the Forrest Fitness Center. These fitness programs are essential to the athletic and academic lives of Cal Lutheran students.

However, the only two classes currently offered this semester are Zumba and yoga. Kickboxing, boot camp and Pilates are no longer offered.

Students like myself like to feel involved but are hesitant going into the school gym because they are unsure of what exercises to do or are intimidated by the people around them.

There are many athletic students on this campus, but some do not want the commitment of being on a sports team. These classes offer them a way to be a part of something.

Stacy Gross is a Cal Lutheran alumna and Zumba instructor, who leads the bi-weekly Zumba class on campus.

Gross said she wants to provide a safe space in her classes so students can come in and let their emotions out through dance.

Joel Canacoo, coordinator for Forrest Fitness Center, said the the kickboxing, boot camp and Pilates classes have been missing for several semesters because of scheduling conflicts with instructors. Canacoo said the Fitness Center is in the process of hiring new instructors and is working to bring in highly qualified instructors that will fit well on campus.

I think itโ€™s important for a variety of classes to be offered since an activity that works for some may not work for others.

Regardless of where you are on your fitness journey, itโ€™s important to get your body moving at least once a day. It does not have to be an intense workout, just something that makes you feel good.

Exercise is good for your body, your overall health and your mental state. These classes are a way to hold ourselves accountable and get our bodies moving in a social environment.

โ€œI donโ€™t even work out on my own. Thereโ€™s something about being in a class that really pushes me and energizes me,โ€ Gross said.

These classes bring people together and create a sense of community, while providing a way to get out and socialize with other students. They are necessary to our students and our community.

Iโ€™ve noticed exercise has helped my concentration and lessened my anxiety. When I feel overwhelmed, I know that I need to work out.

Until the full schedule of Fitness Center classes returns to campus, yoga and Zumba are great options to start your fitness journey. Any activity is better than nothing, even taking a long walk around campus can help.

Rose Riehl