Former student removed from campus

Lindsey Potter, Features Editor

On Sept. 10, Director of Campus Safety David Hilke sent an email to California Lutheran University students, faculty and staff informing the community of a California Penal Code 602 Trespass Notification for former student Jesse Hu.ย 

โ€œAt Cal Lutheran, like many campuses across the Country, at any given time the campus is full of students, perspective students, vendors, contractors, visitors, VIPโ€™s, etc.,โ€ Hilke said in an email interview. โ€œWhen a person is no longer welcome, for any number of reasons, on California Lutheran University property, Campus Safety can issue a 602 Trespass Notification.โ€ย 

According to Hilke, Campus Safetyโ€™s first incident with Hu was on Sept. 1. He was then arrested on both Sept. 2 and Sept. 9.ย 

In one of these interactions, Hu was observed by a staff member with marijuana in his possession near the Gilbert Sports and Fitness Center, according to Hilke.ย 

Hilke said Campus Safety then โ€œmade contact with the subject in the area of the Woken Walk.ย  The subject quickly left campus and was contacted by the Thousand Oaks Police Department at an off campus location.โ€ย 

After the incident on Sept. 1,ย  Hu was issued a 602 Trespass Notification โ€œwhich states that he is not to enter or occupy the private property of California Lutheran University,โ€ Hilke said.ย 

โ€œPenal Code 602 PC is the California statute that defines the crime of criminal trespass. A person commits trespassing when he or she enters — or remains on — someone elseโ€™s property without permission or a right to do so,โ€ Hilke said.ย 

Once a trespass notification has been issued to an individual, they are subject to arrest if they return to campus, Hilke said.ย 

Senior Erin Niemi, who formerly reported for The Echo, saw Hu in the Student Union on Sept. 2.ย 

โ€œI walk in and thereโ€™s a guy on the computer and thereโ€™s like, I believe three campus safety officers, just standing around him…asking him questions, asking him to leave,โ€ Niemi said.ย 

Niemi said she heard Campus Safety using an โ€œaggressive tone,โ€ and she decided to leave the Student Union and wait in her car. While in the parking lot, Niemi said she saw two Ventura County Sheriffโ€™s Department vehicles arrive.

Niemi said she witnessed these events around 3:20 p.m. According to Campus Safetyโ€™s log book, a 602 trespassing incident occurred at 2:57 p.m. that day.

The log book also states that a 602 incident occurred on Sept. 9 at 1:20 p.m. in the Student Union. Hilke confirmed that Hu was on campus and arrested on this date.ย 

Rumors that Hu was trying to steal computers were said to be false by Hilke.

โ€œIt was initially reported that Mr. Hu was trying to remove computers from the Gilbert Sports and Fitness Center second floor areaโ€ฆ a review of the security camera footage determined that was false,โ€ Hilke said.ย 

The email sent to students, faculty and staff described Hu as 26 years old, 5 feet, 9 inches tall, 160 pounds with brown hair and brown eyes. The email also stated his identifying behaviors as โ€œperforming martial arts and dance movements.โ€ย 

Hilke said โ€œThus far, Mr. Hu has made no threats to persons or property.โ€ย 

If students see Hu on campus they should contact Campus Safety at 805-493-3208.

ย