Water Polo falls in conference matchup

Goal oriented: Hunter Hamaker scores against Chapman Saturday afternoon at the Samuelson Aquatic Center.
    Photo by Melina Esparza – Photo Editor

The CLU men’s water polo team has opened up Southern California Interscholastic Athletic Conference play in a disappointing fashion.  They went 9-8 in their non-conference schedule, the Kingsmen have fallen to 1-2 in SCIAC.

Saturday afternoon, the Kingsmen began play with a conference matchup against Chapman.  Coming into the match having already beaten Chapman 11-10, the Kingsmen figured they’d have the upper hand.

However, playing without senior captain Carter Baldwin would prove to be devastating as the Kingsmen fell 12-9 against Chapman.

Hunter Hamaker scored three goals for the Kingsmen. Kyle Norheim tallied three.

Dejan Novakovic totaled six steals to lead the defense while Danny Mock recorded three blocks in goal.

The afternoon game for the Kingsmen was much more favorable for the squad.  The Kingsmen recorded their first 20-goal game of the season.

Hamaker scored five goals. George Hong and Novakovic added three goals each as the Kingsmen went on to route Connecticut College 20-8.

In goal, Mock recorded six saves to solidify a solid defensive effort for the Kingsmen.

The Kingsmen will travel to Whittier today to face off against conference opponent Whittier College.   Then on Saturday the Kingsmen stay on the road to play at Claremont-Mudd-Scripps.