Homecoming lets the good times roll

Homecoming and Family Weekend returns to CLU, bringing a chance for new and old students to reconnect with their campus.

“Alumni and current family members are invited back to campus to participate in a variety of activities and events that highlight the campus and the community,” said Rachel Ronning, director of alumni and parent relations at California Lutheran University. “They used to be two separate weekends. We have combined them for one spectacular filled weekend.”

Events will take place all weekend long, starting the morning of Friday, Oct. 19 and ending Sunday Oct. 21.

The weekend kicks off Friday morning when family and alumni are invited into open classes with students to experience the classroom vibe.

Other events on Friday include the Founder’s Day Convocation & Young Alumni Award, a performance by comedian Tim Young, Monte Carlo Night at the Sunset Hills Country Club and the Alumni & Friends Golf Tournament.

The golf tournament will be held off campus at the Tierra Rejada Golf Club in Moorpark.

Saturday’s events start at 8 a.m. with the opening of the Kwan Fong Gallery.

New this year is Loop da Lu, a 5k run/walk across campus that starts at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday.

It costs $25 for pre-registration and $30 for walkups on race day. Student Life is also paying the entry for the first 40 undergraduate students who sign up, according to Ronning.

Barbara Collins, author of  “You Lead a Mean Trial” and described by Ronning as “a beloved faculty member here on campus,” is having a book signing at 10 a.m.

A big turnout is expected at the President’s tailgate party starting at 11 a.m. Saturday morning. Ronning said last year on Homecoming weekend around 500 people came to the tailgate party. There is a fee of $5 per person to attend.

“I really like watching the Homecoming football game,” said senior Melanie D’Agati. “I hear it is pretty crazy.”

This year’s football game sees the CLU Kingsmen go against the Occidental College Tigers at 1 p.m. On Saturday night, around 7 p.m., the Homecoming Carnival will open up on Memorial Parkway.

“I’m going to be doing a lot of activities on campus,” said Jacob Garcia, a senior at CLU. “I’m trying to take advantage because it is my last year so I want to get that full experience.”

Garcia said that he is most excited for the Carnival.

“The club that I started, called D.A.N.C.E., we’re performing our first performance there,” said Garcia. “It is going to be really cool because we are going to have flashlights and everything.”

The weekend ends on Sunday with worship at 10 a.m. followed by the Homecoming and Family Weekend Concert at 2 p.m., both held in the Samuelson Chapel.

Ronning said that one of the goals for the weekend was to bring alumni back into the fold.

“To bring them to campus to see all of the changes that have been made and to reconnect alumni with each other,” said Ronning.

“We hope to see a good showing of the student population at all of the events.”

Students are encouraged to support the college over the weekend and to wear as much purple and gold as they can.

For more information on Homecoming and Family Weekend and for a schedule of events please visit www.callutheran.edu/alumni/homecoming.

Heather Ford
Published Oct. 17, 2012