Fall golf a success

The Kingsmen golf team entered the fall season coming off one of the most successful seasons in program history after achieving their highest national ranking.

The team kicked off their 2012-2013 season with two fall tournaments on the national stage.

The Kingsmen ventured to Prescott, Ariz. and Flowery Branch, Ga. to compete against the best D-III golfers across the country, including last yearโ€™s national champion team, Oglethorpe University.

These two fall matches will gave the team a good look as to how they stack up nationally and what to expect for SCIAC.

At the Embry-Riddle tournament at Talking Rock Golf Course in Arizona, the Kingsmen dominated the rest of the field by setting a program record for a combined 54-hole total with a score of 876.

The team was led by senior Chad Kimmelshue who kicked off the tournament with a 69 and continued his hot play throughout the tournament to finish fifth individually.

The Kingsmen featured great rounds and did not receive a single score over 77.

After the record-breaking tournament the team returned to Thousand Oaks to find out their new national ranking of No. 1.

โ€œAfter winning the tournament in Arizona, and beating some of the top teams, I knew we were going to be ranked pretty high,โ€ said senior Parker Colvin.

The feeling of being in first place also overwhelmed Kimmelshue.

โ€œTo be number one in the nation at one point was the most surreal feeling. I knew that we had a great team this year but did not know exactly how good we were going to be. It is great to know that we can compete with the best teams in the nation and that we have a great shot to win the national championship if we can come together as a team,โ€ said Kimmelshue.

The Kingsmen had little time to enjoy their new No. 1 ranking as they flew to Georgia only a week later for the Oglethrope Invitational.

They finished up seventh in the field with a final team score of 605 in the two-day event.

The Kingsmen begin their regular season in February, hoping to carry the momentum gained this fall.

Brina Clark
    Published Oct. 24, 2012