Regals start 2-1

Last season the Regals basketball team earned a trip to the NCAA Division III basketball playoffs.ย  This year, the Regals hope to repeat their success.

On Saturday, Nov. 17, the Regals began the 2012-2013 season with a bang as they crushed the Bethesda University Flames in a 101-39 victory in the Gilbert Sports Arena.

The Regals wanted to get a fast start to their season by taking a 14-point lead to open the ballgame.

The seven Regal seniors had a big impact on the day, which they hope will be representative of what to expect this season.

Last yearโ€™s results left the team wanting more.

โ€œI want a conference title and I know my seniors do, too,โ€ said senior guard Erica Whitley. โ€œIt would mean a lot to the team to earn a SCIAC title, not just the tournament title. I want the whole thing.โ€

During the Regalsโ€™ game against the Flames, Whitley scored 23 points.

โ€œIt always feels good to win, but we are already looking toward our next few games. We played hard and Iโ€™m proud of the team. Weโ€™ve just got to keep the momentum,โ€ said Whitley.

Senior guard and forward combo Starla Wright contributed to the victory by scoring 14 points and grabbing 16 rebounds.

Wright thinks a successful season is in the future for this squad.

โ€œIโ€™m really not the psychic type, but I think our team is going to perform well this season,โ€ said Wright.

โ€œWeโ€™ve got a good group of seniors who still work hard every practice to make our team better. Weโ€™re looking forward to winning SCIAC and returning to the NCAA tournament.โ€

The Regals were taken by surprise when they faced off against No. 2 George Fox.ย  Ironically, George Fox was the team that knocked the Regals out of the playoffs last season.ย  This year they didnโ€™t fair any better, falling to them 75-44.

These beginning season games are guaranteed to give the Regals the experience they need for the soon-to-be competitive season.

The Regals know it will be a long and difficult season throughout SCIAC play.

They are returning with several players and have only one freshman.

With such a veteran team they are a preseason favorite to win a conference title.

โ€œFor the upcoming season, I see us being a contender for the SCIAC conference title. I am excited to see what the season brings because we have a veteran team,โ€ said Whitley.

โ€œI know itโ€™s going to be a tough and long season, but weโ€™re ready for it.โ€

Brina Clark
    Published Nov. 28, 2012