Regals down CalTech in conference opener

The scoring dams were clogged for the CalTech Beavers basketball team while the Regals dominated on both ends of the floor, defeating the Beavers 80-41.ย  The win marks their first victory in SCIAC play.

With their non-conference schedule ending on a more than impressive win against NAIA powerhouse Westmont, the Regals were confident in their ability to start off the season on a forceful note following a 4-3 record entering into SCIAC play.

Senior guard Starla Wright started off the scoring for the Regals with two free throws off an aggressive drive through the lane. Those two free throws added to her impressive double-double. She recorded 14 points and 10 rebounds.

โ€œWhat I have been working on is my post game,โ€ said Wright. โ€œSo, Iโ€™m just trying to get a secondary move down to have better shots.โ€

Wright dominated the paint on offense and defense throughout the contest, showing that her hard work has paid off.

โ€œI just tried to work on the little things a lot. I try to help my team as much as I can because team defense only works when we are working together,โ€ said Wright.

Wright had some help from fellow senior guard Jazmyne Porter. The sharp shooter scored 18 points off the bench and led the Regals in scoring. Porter also flashed defensive brilliance, swiping four steals.

โ€œWe just wanted to execute our plays and get better,โ€ said Porter. โ€œAfter the win yesterday, it ignited us for the rest of the season.โ€

The entire CLU squad displayed prowess on defense, which led to numerous offensive opportunities.

Along with Wright and Porter, senior point guard Alex Nelson showed poise on both ends of the floor, setting up her teammates with easy buckets against a vulnerable Beaver defense. The Regals came out of the gates with a strong full-court press, adding frustration on top of sloppy ball movement by the Beavers, which provided the easy-flowing offense.

Senior forwards Rachel Heagy and Channing Fleischmann made their presence felt below the hoop with swift footwork.

An offensive trend began to flow in the form of a high-arching three pointers shot by Nelson, as she drained two back-to-back three balls to expand Cal Lutheranโ€™s already promising lead early in the first half.

Any offensive hope for the Beavers was immediately taken away by the Regals due to defensive awareness by sophomore guard Keeley Anderson, who drew a charge that shifted the momentum back into CLUโ€™s hands. After that, the Regals never looked back.

The Regals led 42-19 at half, and the contest turned into a lopsided game.

Porter continued her hot shooting into the second half, immediately draining a three pointer.

Wright contributed to the quick scoring, as Fleischmann found her on a sharp cut to the lower right side of the basket, putting CLU up 47-19.

The Regalsโ€™ head coach Roy Dow expressed his hopes for a successful season after this expected win.

โ€œThere are things that you have to expect through the peaks and valleys,โ€ said Dow.ย  โ€œWe expect the season to be a little more even. Performance wise, they show up every day and work hard.โ€

The Regals continue their SCIAC journey Thursday, Dec. 6, when they take on Pomona-Pitzer on the road at 7:30 p.m.

Nicho DellaValle
    Published Dec. 5, 2012