Track & Field excited to start the season

The menโ€™s and womenโ€™s track and field season commences once more after garnering a SCIAC championship last year.

Breaking school records and holding a SCIAC title is not enough for the Kingsmen and Regals. They want to continue their success this season.

Many of the female team members believe the fans have a lot to look forward to on their end of things.

โ€œKeep your eye on Amanda Hamilton, the freshman 400-meter hurdler and triple jumper whose athleticism and versatility is going to be a key component to the teamโ€™s success,โ€ said junior sprints runner Amy Galipeau.

With the Regalsโ€™ motivation and positivity continuing through offseason, senior Katie Kirchner is amped and ready to compete again.

โ€œOur technique and speed are only getting better with the way our workouts are structured,โ€ Kirchner said. โ€œIf we keep this up and continue to prepare well, we should peak right around SCIAC finals.โ€

New impact players are being brought into both the menโ€™s and womenโ€™s teams. Junior recruit Dan Miller thinks he can bring a certain mental element to the already physically strong menโ€™s team.

โ€œMy key to success this season is to bring the attitude โ€˜Get Better, Not Bitterโ€™ to the track and weight room everyday,โ€ said Miller. โ€œWith that kind of attitude, nothing can break you, and the team will only become stronger.โ€

With a packed schedule of eight invitationals and four conference meets, head coach Matt Lea knows the team is prepared for the tough schedule.

โ€œWeโ€™ve got a lot of players coming back this season and are looking at Lauren Kennedy, senior hurdler, to have a huge impact on our team in combination with mid-distance runner, Lauren Rohach, who can bring the heat,โ€ said Lea.

Lea thinks that the teamโ€™s secret to success, amongst all the talent, is having fun and staying healthy.

โ€œIf we are healthy, we are dangerous,โ€ said Lea.

The Kingsmen and Regals start their season at the Pomona-Pitzer All-Comers meet on Saturday, Feb. 16, in Claremont, Calif.

They have a great season ahead of them with the mixture of high competitiveness and athleticism.

Abby Sturgeon
    Published Feb. 13, 2013