‘The Missing Piece’ performs sold out shows

Photo by Anna Norwalt - Reporter

Students Stone Sharp and Jennie White perform in Dancing Blind, one of the nine ten-minute plays in The Missing Piece.

Anna Norwalt, Reporter

California Lutheran University students put on The Missing Piece: ten-minute play festival, they performed Mar. 17-20, as part of a capstone project for theatre majors and minors.

The show was a combination of nine ten-minute plays that students in the capstone class agreed upon to showcase. It ranged from plays addressing life to one about the Kool-Aid Man.

There are 12 students currently enrolled in the capstone class, and each of them had a role to play to pull the production together. Clayton Currie, a senior in the class, is part of the Management Team however that isnโ€™t the only role he plays.

โ€œDue to our capstone class being small, a lot of us have to play a lot of roles,โ€ Currie said.

Juan Gonzalez, another senior in the class, is one of the two students in charge of publicity.

Gonzalez was also a director of one of the ten-minute plays called โ€œRed Sugary Sweet Dreams.โ€ He described the play as a friend sharing her dream involving Kool-Aid to her other friend.

โ€œAnd so, out comes the Kool-Aid Man, and you kind of enter their fantasy world of like Kool-Aid,โ€ Gonzalez said.

Michael Ardnt, the professor teaching the Theatre Arts capstone course, said he acts like a mentor to the students but that all of the work is their own.

โ€œItโ€™s a really good learning experience because most of them have never had to be in charge of something or actually run a professional theater or work in a theater where theyโ€™re given responsibilities,โ€ Ardnt said.

The class has been working toward this performance all semester.

โ€œItโ€™s a great class. It is for us, for theatre majors in particular,โ€ Currie said. โ€œI feel like this capstone class is a good challenge because it really is โ€˜take everything you have learned over the past four years, go make a productionโ€™.โ€

The show was nine unique plays that compliment each other according to Sophia Christenson, a student in the class working as House Manager.

โ€œI think with all of these plays, thereโ€™s a character that sort of finds themselves through another character, and they really find that missing piece. So, thatโ€™s where we got the title from,โ€ Christenson said.

While talking about the ten-minute play โ€œDancing Blindโ€ which featured a blind woman as one of the main characters, Christenson shared about a blind and deaf friend she had growing up and how she learned from them.

โ€œBut obviously, Iโ€™ll never know what itโ€™s like, so I think that I just wanted to do it justice,โ€ Christenson said.

Another piece that was showcased was the first student-written ten-minute musical by Xavier Reynoso. The musical was written as well as directed by Reynoso. It depicted a man who was found innocent and released from prison after serving one year for the murder of his fiancรฉโ€™s little brother.

โ€œI think Iโ€™m just excited for people to see it. Weโ€™ve worked really hard since the beginning of the semester to make sure that this is, I donโ€™t know the word for it. That this is going to affect people the way that we want it to,โ€ Christenson said.

This was the first in-person ten-minute play festival the capstone course has been able to perform since the start of the pandemic.

โ€œItโ€™s a good feeling to be like โ€˜weโ€™re still making it work.โ€™ Weโ€™re adapting, weโ€™re finding ways to do it live in person and still be safe about it,โ€ Currie said.

The students, 12 in the capstone course and 20 actors, put on four shows over the weekend, all of which were sold out.

โ€œThereโ€™s a lotta joy, a lotta pride in it, in seeing what weโ€™ve done, itโ€™s a little bit bittersweet cause itโ€™s probably the last thing Iโ€™m gonna do at Cal Lu,โ€ Currie said.