Makayla Lopez is off to a successful start for her first season at Cal Lutheran

Makayla+Lopez+has+25+runs+batted+in+33+games+played.+

Photo contributed by CLUSports

Makayla Lopez has 25 runs batted in 33 games played.

Hannah Anderson, Reporter

Transfer student Makayla Lopez is playing her first softball season at California Lutheran University as a first and third baseman. She has contributed a total of 34 hits and scored 20 runs for this season’s softball team.ย 

Lopez grew up in Santa Clarita, and said that she has been playing softball since she was five years old. She said since she grew up around the sport, it urged her to continue with softball.

โ€œMy whole family plays baseball and softball and that really inspired me to play,โ€ Lopez said.

Lopez said she had her heart set on softball ever since she was young.ย 

โ€œMakayla stands out due to her presence. She is a huge threat offensively and has been solid playing both corners for us this spring. She also has a tremendous work ethic and is enthusiastic about being on the field daily. She works hard every day to better herself and also to keep our group in good spirits,โ€ Head Softball Coach Debra Day said in an email interview.ย 

Before transferring to Cal Lutheran, Lopez played softball all four years in high school at Saugus High School in Saugus. After high school, she continued to play at California State University, Bakersfield for her first-year, then transferred to College of the Canyons in Santa Clarita for her sophomore year, and came to Cal Lutheran to finish out her college career.

Day said Lopez has been a big contribution to the softball team this year for her strong playing skills.

โ€œMakayla is one of our leading hitters. She has power to all fields and can change the game with one swing of the bat. She also brings great perspective to our team, since she did transfer in from another program. Her insight has been really positive and her energy is contagious,โ€ Day said.

Day said that Lopez knows how to bring positivity to the field while keeping the game professional.

Lopez attended Cal State Bakersfield with teammate Ariana Mendoza, who told her about the softball program at Cal Lutheran. Lopez said Mendoza is the reason why she came to Cal Lutheran.

โ€œMakayla is the type of teammate you know always has your back. She is very outgoing and always finds a way to make you laugh on the field,โ€ Mendoza said.

Mendoza also said that although it can be difficult to be a college athlete, Lopez is determined to do well and keeps a positive attitude on the field.ย 

โ€œHer strongest qualities as a softball player is how determined she is to succeed in anything she does,โ€ Mendoza said.

Day said college sports are not easy, and students that choose to play a sport in college must find a balance between education and sports.ย 

โ€œPlaying sports at the collegiate level is difficult. My advice is to really figure out how to manage your time and to maintain your passion both for your studies and your sport. I am always impressed by the athletes CLU has ย great students, great team players and dedication/balance in both aspects. Amazing accomplishments,โ€ Day said.

Lopez is a great example of a student athlete who upholds a great balance between softball, grades, and keeping an optimistic attitude through it all. Day said that although it may not always be easy, her positivity is contagious on the field.

The Regals will on the road for their next conference matchup on Sunday, May 1 against Whittier College.