Invitational readies CLU for conference play

The men’s and women’s track and field teams competed on Saturday, March 9, at the Ben Brown Invitational.

The two-day meet that began Friday, was held at CSU Fullerton’s Titan Track and Field Complex.

More than 30 schools competed at the Invitational, with unattached professional and nonprofessional athletes performing as well.

“Everyone did well. It was a long day with a lot of waiting, but most everyone improved their times or distances for the season,” said junior Lauren Rohach.

Rohach, who had her own day of improvements, placed third in the long jump, with a mark of 5.35 meters. She improved her time in the 200-meter dash, clocking in at 26.19 seconds. She also competed in the 4×100 meter relay with Kendall Sauter, Amy Galipeau and Audrey Dow, running a time of 50.24 seconds. Sauter also placed 10th in the long jump, with a mark of 5.18 meters.

“As a team we had a hard week of practice. We train to win the conference meets. The invitationals are just for fun and extra work. There was a ton of great competition,” said senior Justin Puccinelli, who placed 14th in the men’s javelin throw, with a mark of 51.20 meters.

Mary Case, a sophomore from Westlake Village, placed 13th in the pole vault with a mark of 2.76 meters. She also excelled in the long jump with a mark of 4.72 meters.

A strong event for both the Kingsmen and the Regals was the 400-meter dash. For the Kingsmen, successful competitors were Tristan Baer, Matthew Hamlett, Andrew Olson, Cody Butcher and Alexis Avila. For the Regals, successful competitors included Amanda Hamilton, Amy Falahat, Daniela Sullivan and Natalie Fischer.

“Since it wasn’t a scoring meet, we took it as getting more comfortable with our races. We almost took it as a practice. There were a lot of bigger schools there so we got a lot of practice with bigger teams. It was an all around great day for everyone,” said Lauren Kennedy, a senior from San Diego.

Kennedy placed ninth in the 100-meter hurdles, with a time of 15.43 seconds. She also competed in the 100-meter dash, with a time of 13.16 seconds.

The women’s 100-meter hurdles had four athletes compete. Scout Gibson placed 22nd with a time of 17.13 seconds. Rachael Maurer placed 27th with a time of 17.71 seconds. Lauren Achen placed 30th with a time of 19.34 seconds. Haley Ramos placed 31st with a time of 19.56 seconds.

“Our next meet is a scoring SCIAC meet, so I expect us to keep improving and win a lot of races and hopefully beat each team at that meet,” said Rohach.

This meet will be held on Saturday, March 23, in Whittier. CLU will compete against University of La Verne, University of Redlands and Whittier University. This will follow the Occidental Distance Carnival for distance runners on Friday, March 15.

Caitlin Dimmitt
    Published March 13, 2013