Rock the formal this weekend without breaking the bank

Rock The Formal is quickly approaching. With any event, the perfect outfit is a must. Finding that outfit can be a challenge, but with a couple of tips and tricks you wonโ€™t have to sweat it.

โ€œLast year to spring formal, I wore a black shirt and black pants and a silver tie with a gold tie bar,โ€ said junior Andrew Cano.

โ€œFor this year, I plan on wearing CLU colors with a dark purple shirt and a gold tie and black pants.โ€

Sophomore Paige Rios is sticking with a timeless little black dress.

โ€œI was planning on wearing a classic black cocktail dress. Itโ€™s easy to match shoes and accessories with black, so I donโ€™t have to buy a completely new outfit,โ€ said Rios.

Since the formal is in Los Angeles, a cocktail dress or a short dress is a great option for gals to wear. Slacks and a button up is an appropriate outfit for guys.

Accessories and shoes are also important details when it comes to completing your outfit. The perfect accessory, such as a small clutch, can add that extra little touch, turning a good outfit in to a perfect one.

โ€œIโ€™m wearing neon pink platform pumps that I already own with my black dress, just to give it a little color. Plus neon is popular right now,โ€ said Rios. โ€œI usually wear platform pumps because Iโ€™m short, and they give me a little boost.โ€

Another option, instead of heels for gals, is a ballet flat or a gladiator sandal. Dancing in heels all night can be a painful experience, especially if youโ€™re not used to wearing them. Flats and sandals are always a smart and stylish alternative.ย  This yearโ€™s formal has a more casual vibe, so heels arenโ€™t an absolute must.

The typical college-student budget limits what formal wear you can purchase, but that doesnโ€™t have to affect your style. Staying within budget is usually a must for most students, especially for an outfit that you might only wear once.

โ€œWhenever I need an outfit for an occasion Iโ€™m going to once, I try to spend as little money as possible,โ€ said sophomore Alexis McCullough.

There are a lot of stores in the area where you can find budget-friendly outfits that work for formal events, for both guys and gals, so you donโ€™t have to break the bank to look great.

โ€œI like to go to Forever 21, Bebe and Windsor when Iโ€™m shopping on a budget for more formal dresses,โ€ said McCullough. โ€œI can usually spend less than $50 to get a new outfit for the night.โ€

The outlet mall in Camarillo is also a great option when trying to find a budget-friendly outfit. There are many great stores to choose from for both guys and gals, including Charlotte Russe and Guess.

If you donโ€™t have time to make it to Camarillo, try The Oaks mall.

You can always take an outfit you already own and add new shoes or a tie to create a new look. Always look through the sales rack; you never know what you might find for a discounted price.

Some stores, such as Topshop, offer student discounts when you show your school ID, so donโ€™t hesitate to ask if the store youโ€™re at offers that, too.

Most important, have fun picking out your outfits and expressing yourself.

โ€œI like to go shopping with my friends, which is helpful because they help me out by picking things out for me to try on,โ€ said Cano. โ€œWe go to Menโ€™s Warehouse and head straight to the sales rack to get the best deals.โ€

Lindsey Walton
    Published April 17, 2013