Volleyball picks up where they it off in SCIAC

The 14-1 record of California Lutheran University’s women’s volleyball team indicates how well it has started the season. The team’s chemistry has been apparent in their play throughout the season. This past week was no different as it was full of wins for the Regals.

On Sept. 24, CLU beat Pomona-Pitzer and on Sept. 27, it swept Occidental. The team collected another win by beating Claremont Mudd-Scripps on Sept. 28 at the Gilbert Sports and Fitness Center.

The Regals’ skill presented a challenge for CMS. They took a lead of six points to carry them throughout the rest of the first set. The score was 14-8 with the Regals in the lead when the Athenas called a timeout to plan a comeback. However, junior outside hitter Kylie McLogan finished the set with back-to-back aces and the team sealed its first set win.

It was a slow start in the second set for the Regals. CMS had its largest lead in the beginning with a score of 8-5. That’s when CLU began fighting to get its way back to the top. Senior middle blocker Lauren Rohach had three kills that helped the Regals fight throughout the second set.

Her efforts weren’t enough as CMS sealed the second set win with an ace made by Athenas’ Megan Coleman.

Regals responded with a four-point lead to start the third set. The teams traded points for the majority of the set, but the combination of junior libero Kennedy Peters’ digs and sophomore right side Caitlin Fransen’s kills put CLU in a secure lead. CMS gave the final point of the third set to CLU by serving into the net, creating a final score of 25-19 and another set win for the Regals.

The final set unleashed momentum for McLogan. She led the team in overall kills, seven of which were in the final set alone.

“It’s all a testament to my team. I can’t do anything that I do without them,” McLogan said.

Senior middle blocker Hayley Tamagni played a strong defense and the Regals finalized their game win in the fourth set with a nine-point victory, 25-16.

The team is currently working its way toward winning another SCIAC championship and then moving onto regionals. The next step after those wins will be to head to nationals.

According to McLogan, the team remains grounded, especially with the competitive SCIAC opponents.

The Regals are currently preparing for games against Redlands and Chapman this week. The players focus on each other rather than themselves individually, according to Peters.

Freshman middle blocker Sarah Pappas discussed how helpful the entire team is to each other. According to Pappas, the team will go into practice early and stay later to help each other.

“We just genuinely love spending time together,” McLogan said.

The interconnectedness between players is a powerful facet that strengthens the team. McLogan believes that this team has that.

There are 12 SCIAC games left for CLU to continue dominating the courts. The team will set the record of most consecutive SCIAC championships if they win this year, making it their fourth title in a row. The next home game will be against Chapman on Oct. 4 at 7:30 p.m.

“I think this is one of the best groups we’ve ever had,” Peters said.

Savannah Robinson