Where’s Waldo: Searching for entertainment in Thousand Oaks

While some California Lutheran University students find themselves constantly bored and searching for fun, others have no problem finding entertainment in Thousand Oaks.

“It’s what you make of it,” junior Noa Bryan said. “If you know when and where to go, know the right people and have the right attitude, it really can be an awesome place.”

Other students, like sophomore Sean Simpson, have a different opinion.

“Since coming here, I’ve been disappointed with the fun factor. I’m always driving to L.A. to have a good time,” Simpson said. “Everything here either closes before 10 p.m. or is too expensive. I don’t even like to go to the movies anymore because it costs so much.”

Like many students, Simpson was unaware that CLU offers discounted Muvico tickets to students Mondays-Thursdays. They can be purchased online at callutheran.edu/tickets for $8 and can be picked up within 24 hours at the Student Affairs Office.

Muvico is a 14-screen, high-end movie theater located at The Oaks mall off of Hillcrest Avenue.

To further the movie-viewing experience, guests can go to Bogart’s Bar & Grill, a restaurant on the 2nd floor of the theater which features classic dining and drink options for restaurant goers.

On Wednesdays at 8 p.m., Muvico offers Trivia Night for patrons. Muvico also has a Premier VIP theater for people who are 21 and over with love seats, free popcorn and alcohol available for purchase.

For people looking to find their fun outdoors, Paradise Falls at Wildwood Park, located on the west end of Avenida de Los Arboles, is a three mile loop. A waterfall sits about a mile into the hike, which is well-known to many hikers of the trail. Although steep in some areas, it is a moderate hike and takes about two hours to complete. Hikers can bring picnic lunches but should beware of rattlesnakes and other wildlife.

“I usually make the drive to L.A. to hike at Runyon Canyon, but it’s convenient to have Wildwood just around the corner from CLU. It gives me a place to clear my mind. The view can make me forget I’m in Thousand Oaks,” senior Emma Hopp said.

While Thousand Oaks is not exactly known for its nightlife — aside from bars, which many students are not old enough to get into — there is Borderline Bar & Grill. The line-dancing club features music and dancing for ages 18 and older.

Every Wednesday Borderline holds College Night, featuring country music and line dancing lessons.

For people looking for a different music vibe, they play various genres on Friday nights at their Spazzmatic Dance Party.

Bryan, who helps to organize and promote events at Borderline, also recommended Arena Sports Grill and Bar in Simi Valley, for people who “hope to stay local, but still have an awesome time.”

It has a dance floor, pool tables, couches and booths. Many CLU alumni are among the many local DJs to play here. The next event at Arena will be on Halloween, featuring Mike G. from Odd Feature and a costume contest with prizes.

Cate Dimmitt
    Published Oct. 9, 2013