NEWS BRIEFS: On Campus, Across the Nation & Around the World

LAX shooting targets TSA officers
On Nov. 1, alleged gunman, Paul Anthony Ciancia, 23, opened fire at Los Angeles International Airport, according to latimes.com. TSA officer, Gerardo I. Hernandez, 39, was killed and โ€œtwo other agency employees and a civilian were wounded by gunfire.โ€ Airport police shot Ciancia in the leg and head and he remains โ€œheavily sedated in critical conditionโ€ at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center. Federal prosecutors charged Ciancia with murder and committing violence at an international airport. If convicted, Ciancia could face life in prison or the death penalty. Authorities said Ciancia was targeting TSA officers after they found a note attached to his body stating he did not want to harm the โ€œinnocent.โ€

Red Sox win World Series
The Boston Red Sox won the World Series for the third time on Oct. 30, according to nytimes.com. The Red Sox beat the St. Louis Cardinals 6-1, making it their first World Series win at home in 95 years. Fans knew they had won when right fielder Shane Victorino hit a fastball, scoring the team three runs. Pitcher Koji Uehara ended the game by striking out Chris Carpenter. David Ortiz was awarded the World Series Most Valuable Player award. According to the Huffington Post, second baseman Dustin Pedroia said, โ€œWe played for the whole city, what the city went through.โ€

Undocumented students gain money
According to news.yahoo.com, the University of California announced that it would start a program that gives $5 million in services for undocumented students. This is an attempt to โ€œexpandโ€ immigrant rights in California. The money will come from discretionary funds not provided by the state. The money will help pay for advisers, student services and financial aid. Spokeswoman Dianne Klein said while the California Dream Act allows undocumented students to be eligible for state and UC financial aid, they are unable to receive federal loans. The money will help fix this problem as it helps the 900 undocumented students in the UC system.

Tapes show pepper spray usage
On Oct. 31, a federal court released tapes showing mentally ill prisoners in California beingย  pepper sprayed by guards in order to remove them from their cells, according to latimes.com. The tapes were created due to state policy, which states all cell extractions must be recorded. Inmatesโ€™ lawyers said the use of pepper spray and force are the abuse of men who may have little understanding of what is happening to them or why, according to The Times. The corrections department, which gave the tapes to the court by way of court order, released a statement saying the use of pepper spray and force are last resorts. The state inmates are removed to keep from harming themselves. What the public doesnโ€™t see is the hours of discussion between inmates and clinical staff prior to a cell extraction order, according to a statement released by the corrections department.

Alesandria Posada
Published Nov. 6, 2013