Students get lucky with wellness

At most religious affiliated  universities, the topic of sexual wellness is a dicey discussion.

Here at California Lutheran University, I believe our campus is quite the opposite when it comes to talking about sexual wellness.

If you ever have questions or concerns regarding sexual wellness, CLU offers a variety of information on sexual wellness.

“In other conservative Christian coalition universities, you wont find condoms or information on safe sex.  They’re bound to say abstinence. How wild is that in this day and age to say that we aren’t going to address one of the most volatile conversations that’s happening in the young adult population,” said Pastor Scott Maxwell-Doherty.

With CLU being a small university, rumors about others’ sexual activity can spread fast, but the fact that our campus has options for people to privately open up about sexual concerns benefits the students on campus.

“I am proud of CLU for having a bandwidth of openness.  I also know the scary statistic that 20-25 percent of the females that will graduate from this university will be the victims in some manner of sexual assault.  Having that number, it tells me we still have significant groundwork to make up when it comes to young adults understanding themselves sexually,” said Maxwell-Doherty.

Having “safe house’s” where students can go and talk about anything related to sex helps students overcome their fears and concerns. If you are curious about sexual topics, we have programs for this, which makes our university a more diverse campus then other religious universities.

“It is important for individuals to develop a level of comfort when talking about sexual wellness and the importance of it for all individuals,” said Elizabeth Manuel, coordinator for student involvement and wellness student life.

CLU also has events focusing on sexual wellness. On the first Tuesday of every month, health services offers “Testy Tuesdays” at a price of $25.

“I like how CLU has many options for our student population.  If you’re wondering about sexual wellness, CLU accommodates to the students.  If you’re religious, we have options for those students as well,” said junior David Lee.

If our campus were more conservative when it comes to talking about sexual wellness, more issues would be created from increased health concerns.

This openness to discuss these topics helps students and builds a community on campus.

“Communities that embrace an understanding of how to appreciate our sexuality are a much healthier group of people,” said Maxwell-Doherty.

Zach Kaija
    Published Nov. 13, 2013