Interfaith Allies wants you to be their Valentine

Valentineโ€™s Day is dedicated to telling loved ones how you feel about them.

Is it expressed through words, actions, dates, friendships or family? Do you find love in the little things in life?

Without love, what has meaning in life? Maybe love can represent hope to those that need a little guidance.

Join Colleen Windham-Hughes and the Interfaith Allies to express your opinions about what love means in your life.

They will meet on Feb. 14 at the flagpole on campus from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Whether affiliated with religious organizations or not, all are welcome.

โ€œThe goal is to raise awareness and promote conversation about various topics related to interfaith cooperation and religious and/or non-religious identities,โ€ said Windham-Hughes, who has a doctorate degree in religious studies.

Interfaith Allies is a religiously-affiliated group of staff, students and faculty that according to the university website โ€œpromotes the interaction of religious, nonreligious and philosophical traditions.โ€

They are hoping to see a turnout of about 65 students at the event.

โ€œIโ€™m not sure if the point of view about love will differ amongst religious and non-religious groups. Is it meaning that differs? Or motivation? Or narration? Letโ€™s find out,โ€ Windham-Hughes said.

Interfaith Allies want to know what love means to students at CLU.

โ€œI think there are different types of love and different directions we can direct those loves,โ€ student Lacey Soto said.

For some, Valentineโ€™s Day is a day of heartache and loneliness. For others, it is a day to express how they feel for a loved one or many loved ones.

โ€œLove is a commitment to follow God through serving and living in a community with our neighbors. Love is what compels us to stand with those who have been marginalized,โ€ Soto said.

However, for some, the themes of Valentineโ€™s Day are something to be practiced every day.

โ€œI could care less about the holiday because it is just a lot of pressure and stress for just a day and you should celebrate love every day,โ€ junior Mackenzie Perry said.

Love can be the reason people get through their worst days. Love is how some find light in the darkest parts of the night.

โ€œI think most of my life, I worshipped a lesser form of love, but by grace, I realized that my heart yearns for the pure form of love. So yes, my views on love have changed,โ€ Soto said.

So if you have love to express, if you want to hear how others feel about love, if you want to feel a part of something, or if you do not want to feel alone on the day known for romance, join the Interfaith Allies in answering their question: How do you define love?

Erin Chisolm
    Published Feb. 12, 2014