CLU ambassadors, the face of the university

California Lutheran University ambassadors are students who are excited about being a part of the universityโ€™s community and endorse others to become interested and knowledgeable about student life.

โ€œThrough the ambassador program, I have had the privilege of welcoming alumni back and surrounding myself with the Cal Lutheran family. Through sharing my own and hearing so many Cal Lutheran stories, I am constantly reminded of how the university transforms lives,โ€ said CLU ambassador Kiera Murphy.

Being an ambassador means that students work within the community to promote CLU life in a positive way. They do so through building friendships with those who are in the Thousand Oaks area or surrounding areas. Members work with the office of Alumni and Parent Relations to accomplish their goals.

CLU ambassadors attend events such as the Corporate Leaders Breakfast Series, Kingsmen Football tailgates, Annual Fund Holiday Concert Receptions, the Athletics Hall of Fame Awards Dinner and other events that enhance the lives of students and alumni.

โ€œWhile most of these events are spread out and do not require the attendance of every ambassador, I recommend making yourself available for as many as you can. The best ambassador is willing to wake up early, meet new people, and share their story of being a student at CLU,โ€ said CLU ambassador Jimmy Sweeden.

Ambassadors become more aware of life at CLU and improve their personal communication skills. They also build a professional and social contact list, which could be beneficial for future references. Some students begin to become better leaders, which will help with future career choices.

According to Samantha Putman, assistant director of Alumni/ Parent Relations, being an ambassador looks great on resumes and will further studentsโ€™ futures. Students who want to partake in this position will need to have an enthusiastic and positive attitude and have an excellent work ethic to ensure that a performed assignment is done correctly and professionally. A student must be willing to develop better communication skills and have genuine pride for CLU so that they can honorably discuss life at the university. Students must also have a desire to meet CLU alumni, donors, donor prospects and friends of the university.

โ€œThe ambassador program is an opportunity to propel the positive Cal Lutheran student experience into the larger Cal Lutheran community of alumni, parents, donors and friends. It helps to represent the Cal Lutheran experience as it exist today from a cross section of the student body,โ€ Putman said.

For more information on becoming an ambassador,ย  contact Putman at [email protected] or call (805) 493โ€“3883.

Erin Chisolm
    Published April 9, 2014