NEWS BRIEFS: On Campus, Across the Nation & Around the World

Grandson and grandfather die
    A Missouri man is suspected of shooting a 14-year-old boy and his 73-year-old grandfather outside a Jewish community center in Kansas City, according to CNN. The man is also suspected of shooting a woman at a Jewish assisted living facility living nearby. The shootings took place at a Jewish Community Center of Greater Kansas City in Overland Park and the Village Shalom Retirement Community in Leawood.
    โ€œThis is one of the nicest, kindest, most supportive families we have here,โ€ Jacob Schreiber, president of the community center said. โ€œThis has left us all breathless.โ€
    Services for the grandfather and grandson will be April 18.

Thousand Oaks actress nominated
    A Thousand Oaks actress will receive a Young Artist Award nomination, according to the Ventura County Star. Kalia Prescott has been nominated for best performance in a short film by the Young Artist Awards organization. She was honored for her lead role in the short film โ€œSugar.โ€
    According to the Ventura County Star, Prescott has had movie roles in โ€œThe Hunger Gamesโ€ and โ€œWhere The Wild Things Are.โ€ She has also done stunt work for movies such as โ€œSpider-Man 2โ€ and โ€œRed Dawn.โ€
    The Young Artists ceremony will take place on May 4 in Studio City. The nonprofit honors entertainers age 21 and younger for work in feature films, shorts, TV shows, voice-overs and theatre.

Relativity bids for YouTube network
    Relativity Media is trying to outbid Walt Disney Co. for the YouTube network, Maker Studios, according to the Los Angeles Times. Relativity has offered to pay $525 million in stock for the media company, plus as much as $500 million more depending on the financial performance of the company.
    โ€œRelativity and Maker Studios are natural partners. We both share a commitment to challenging the status quo, breaking down old models that donโ€™t work and inventing new ones that do,โ€ Relativity said in a statement.
    Maker Studios is best known for its videos aimed at millennial viewers. Maker has about 55,000 YouTube channels with 380 million subscribers and 5.5 billion views per month, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Woman has bear-sighting in home
    A Florida woman is recovering after being attacked by a bear that came into her open garage and sifted through her garbage cans, according to CNN. The woman said as many as five bears โ€œof various sizesโ€ were going through her trash. A black bear โ€œdragged her from inside the garage out into her driveway,โ€ Seminole County Sheriffโ€™s Lt. Pete Brenenstuhl said. According to Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission spokesman Greg Workman, there were several bears observed near the area, but one bear is responsible for her injuries. Florida wildlife officials have warned people that bears have started moving around in search for food. They urge residents to use bear-resistant trash cans to prevent incidents like this one.

Bus crashes near Orland
    Ten people died in a crash between a bus carrying high school students and a FedEx delivery truck on Interstate 5, according to ABC Local. The tour bus had 46 people on board in which 42 were from Los Angeles high schools. Gov. Jerry Brown issued a statement on the crash saying, โ€œAnne and I extend our heartfelt and deep sympathies to the families, friends and loved ones of those who [died] in the tragic accident near Orland this evening.โ€
    According to federal safety investigators, the driver of the FedEx delivery truck did not appear to break before the collision.

Rikke Bovre
    Published April 16, 2014