Costumes, candy and pumpkins, oh my

Halloween is a time for children, students and adults to enjoy times of costumes, candy, parties and trick-or-treating according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC is recommending some safety tips for trick-or-treaters.

The CDC suggests children of all ages only eat candy that is store bought to avoid any candy that has been tampered with.

CNN had a headline about marijuana treats in childrenโ€™s candy bags this year. Law enforcement officials have always warned parents to check their childrenโ€™s candy before they dig in, according to CNN.

California Lutheran Universityโ€™s Wellness Program will be hosting an event on campus in Kingsmen Park on Wednesday Oct. 29 from 12 to 3 p.m. where a commuterโ€™s lunch with Jersey Mikeโ€™s sandwiches will be offered for free.

โ€œHalloWellness will be a time for students to highlight personal, physical, financial, sexual, spiritual and emotional areas of wellness,โ€ Evan Carthen a wellness intern said.

Carthen said the event will include activities, information and small giveaways like HalloWellness t-shirts. Costumes are not required although Carthen said the t-shirts will be given out to a variety of students.

โ€œThe wellness information that we will be giving will touch base on some things that students need to be aware of leading up to Halloween weekend,โ€ Carthen said.

Fred Miller, director of campus safety said that most safety tips found online are directed towards children. He suggested students drive carefully, have a designated driver if and when drinking is involved and do not wear costumes that may block ones vision.

โ€œFor students, the safety tips are about the same for anytime you go out to a party,โ€ Miller said.

Miller said law enforcement will be patrolling around Halloween weekend looking for impaired drivers. Cal Lutheran students should be careful while on the roads. Whether students are on or off campus, younger children will be roaming around all through town so drive slowly Miller said.

According to the Associated Press in Portland, Maine, the hazmat suits from the show Breaking Bad are becoming extremely controversial because people are using them to pretend to be Ebola patients.

โ€œI always recommend not wearing a costume that could offend or get someone upset just to prevent unnecessary confrontation,โ€ Miller said.

In the show, the men wear these bright yellow one-piece suits to prevent the smell of methamphetamine. With the current outbreaks of Ebola on United States soil, the outfits are offending some people according to Associated Press.

Cal Lutheran senior Kevin Beams has done a couples costume with his girlfriend Michelle Arvanitis all four years of his college career. Beams has never strived to have an offensive costume because he wants to enjoy Halloween, not create problems. Beams tries to always go for a creative look that will be different from another persons costume.

โ€œThis year I am going to be a giant piece of bacon and having a name tag that says hello my name is Kevin so that I am Kevin Bacon,โ€ Beams said.

Beams said his girlfriend is still in-between outfits this year but will figure it out before Halloween weekend.

Halloween is on a Friday and will lead more children and adults to celebrate the holiday this year according to Advertising Age. A survey done by National Retail Federation showed that because Halloween is on a Friday more Americans will buy more costumes than ever before. This has led to a variety of costumes available to all who want one.

Erin Chisolm

Published October 29, 2014