Sports Briefs

Perez sets new 3,000m record

Junior Ryan Perez fought through the rain and set a school record in the 3,000m during the Sunshine Open at Westmont College on Feb. 7.

According to clusports.com, he ran a time of 8:54.38, shattering the previous record of 9:02.71 set in 2010.

Along with Perez, senior Garrett Baker broke the previous record as well, running a time of 8:57.34, according to clusports.com.

Junior David Avila ran a career best 9:22.86 in the event, good enough for the eighth best time in California Lutheran University history, according to clusports.com

For the Regals, senior Melissa Skiba won the mile with a time of 5:03.55 and was the lone victor for Cal Lutheran .

Senior Mary Case placed second in the pole vault with a distance of 2.88 m.

Softball sweeps No. 23ย  Redlands

After losing its first five games, the Regals softball team put together two wins against conference opponent Redlands on Feb. 8.

According to clusports.com, this was the first time Cal Lutheran has swept Redlands in a doubleheader since 2006.

Sophomore Courtney Sooy threw a complete game in game one, giving up seven earned runs and striking out five.

The Regals exploded on offense scoring 11 runs on 14 hits. Leading the offense were freshmen Olivia Leyva, Makenna Pellerin and Antonia Rapisardi.

In game two the Regals dominated the entire way, winning by a score of 12-4.

Freshman Emily Manwell started her career on a high note hitting a game ending RBI fielderโ€™s choice to enable the mercy rule. Box scores of the game are below.

Ramsey Abushala

Sports Editor

Published February 11, 2015