News Briefs: On Campus, Across the Nation & Around the World

Teenagers from London travel to Syria attempting to join ISIS

Three teenage girls from London may be traveling to Syria intending to join ISIS, according to an article in The New York Times.

The article said two of the girls are 15 years old and the other is 16 years old. They were seen on security cameras at Gatwick Airport on Feb. 17 and flew to Turkey, according to The New York Times.

The article said their families were unaware of their plans, and in a statement, one girlโ€™s family has asked her to come home.

Prime Minister David Cameron said Britain will attempt to help the girls return home safely, according to the article.

The New York Times said that more than 3,000 people from Europe may have traveled to Iraq or Syria in the past year and become involved with terrorist groups.

Niagara Falls partially frozen

Cold temperatures in the U.S. have caused Niagara Falls to partially freeze, according to CNN.

According to the article, temperatures in the area were about minus 22 degrees Fahrenheit, causing about 85 percent of the Great Lakes to freeze.

The article said the flow of water from the falls is not completely stopped below the layers of ice, and it is common during cold seasons for Niagara Falls to partially freeze. The article noted that Niagara Falls has not been completely blocked since 1848 when ice stopped the flow of the water.

Despite the cold weather, tourists are still visiting the area, and even some international travelers are coming to see the falls, the article said.

It is possible for even more of Niagara Falls or the Great Lakes to freeze over the next several days, according to CNN.

800,000 taxpayers receive incorrect tax information about health care

Some taxpayers who used HealthCare.gov to sign up for insurance policies were given incorrect tax information, according to The New York Times.

This error will affect about 800,000 people in 37 states, according to the article. These taxpayers were told not to file their tax returns at this time and that they would get updated information in March.

The article said this issue could affect those who need tax refunds to pay bills or other costs.

According to The New York Times, taxpayers were assured they would have time to file taxes before the deadline despite this problem. The article said those who already filed tax returns could need to adjust them, which could affect about 50,000 taxpayers.

The tax problem arose from the Department of Health and Human Services and is not related to the Internal Revenue Service, according to The New York Times.

Two killed by superbug infection

A superbug which killed two patients at UCLA Ronald Reagan Medical Center may be connected to medical scopes used at the hospital, according to the Los Angeles Times.

The article said the superbug, a bacteria which is not responsive to antibiotics, has infected five other people. The Los Angeles Times added that nearly 180 other patients may have been in contact with it.

The article said the scopes, which doctors use to examine the digestive system, have internal parts that may not always be reached during cleaning. The Food and Drug Administration has been aware of this issue for more than two years but did not recall the scopes because using them to diagnose illnesses can save lives, according to the Los Angeles Times.

The article noted that in addition to the UCLA center, hospitals in other locations in the U.S. such as Washington and Pennsylvania have also experienced issues with the scopes.

Jill Kane
Published February 25th, 2015