News Briefs: On Campus, Across the Nation, & Around the World

Sixty-eight people killed in village attack

Nigerian Islamist extremist group Boko Haram is suspected of continuing its campaign of violence after gunmen killing 68 people during a village attack in Nigeriaโ€™s Borno state according to CNN.

Survivor and vigilante sources reported dozens of gunman invaded the village of Njaba before dawn on Tuesday, March 3rd.

The article explains that attackers burned down the entire village after killing children between the ages of 13 and 19 alongside their parents. Boys and girls under the age of 13 were spared.

A lack of communication following the destruction of cell phone towers in the region by previous Boko Haram attacks hindered the emergence of news on the massacre states CNN.

Nineteen-year-old male shot by the police

Tony Robinson, an unarmed nineteen-year-old male, was fatally shot on Saturday by a Wisconsin police officer according to CNN.

Madison Police Chief Mike Koval said this is the second incident where the use of deadly force was exhibited by 12-year department veteran Matt Kenny, who also shot and killed a man in 2007. Exonerated of any wrongdoing, Kenny received a commendation and the shooting was โ€œconcluded to be a suicide by copโ€ the police chief said.

According to CNN, the incident took place after Robinson allegedly assaulted Kenny who was responding to a reported residence disturbance. After the shooting, protesters converged on City Hall chanting โ€œblack lives matter.โ€

Two native teens arrested for robbery

The Ventura County Star reported officers with the Thousand Oaks policeโ€™s Directed Enforcement Unit arrested two native teens in connection with a Thursday night robbery.

An investigation revealed the male robbers, 16 and 17 years old,ย  approached a 25-year-old man on the 800 block of Warwick Avenue, demanding money.

The juveniles physically assaulted the victim after he explained he did not have what they wanted.

According to the article, both teens were arrested on March 6.ย  in connection with strong-armed robbery and street terrorism.

Abducted daughter reunited with family

A South African family has been reunited with the return of their daughter, seventeen years after she was abducted in Cape Town according to CBS News.

Morne and Celeste Nurse had only known their daughter Zephany for three days before she was stolen from her hospital cot.

The article says DNA tests were ordered after an improbable coincidence when the Nurseโ€™s other daughter, Cassidy, noted a girl at school that resembled her.

CBS News reports the woman who stole Zephany and paraded as her biological mother is facing charges of kidnapping.

Zephany safely remains with social welfare officials until a decision is made about her future.

Ban at University of California, Irvineย create โ€˜culturally inclusiveโ€™ environment

Following approval by the Associated Students of University of California (ASUCI), the resolution passed on March 3 to help the students of the University of California, Irvine campus was vetoed, Fox News and The Los Angeles Times report.

According to Fox news, the motion passed 6-4 and was intended to make the school more โ€œculturally inclusiveโ€ by banning the display of all flags, including the American flag.

Criticisms of the vote included ASUCIโ€™s president, Reza Zomorrodian, who is โ€œreally disappointed in [the] legislative councilโ€ and โ€œfirmly against what they didโ€ as it is โ€œan attack on American values.โ€

The Los Angeles times says the five-member executive cabinet overseeing UC Irvineโ€™s student government vetoed this ban on March 7.

Kristen Hansen
Published March 11, 2015