WASC Visit Leads to Four Recommendations

California Lutheran University hosted a site visit by the WASC Senior College and University Commission from April 14-16 to review the accreditation of the university.

In the WASC exit meeting on April 16, Gretchen Bataille said the WSCUC team had four recommendations to strengthen the university.

โ€œCalifornia Lutheran must operationalize the 2007 WASC recommendations. To diversify the faculty, staff, students and Board by creating policies and processes that meet measurable expectations,โ€ Bataille said.

The 2007 WASC recommendations state that Cal Lutheran should โ€œensure that the current diversity initiative is worked into the fabric and budget of the institution so that it is sustainable.โ€

The other three recommendations were to โ€œengage in a broad and deep discussion of the institutionโ€™s mission and culture,โ€ โ€œreview best practices in shared governance,โ€ and to โ€œreconsider the structure and leadership that supports and promotes graduate education at a high level at the university in order to raise its profile capacity and visibility,โ€ Bataille said.

The visit consisted of WSCUC team members Hanna Spinosa, assistant provost at Amherst College; Lori Williams, provost at Ashford University; Mike Lee, vice president for administration and chief financial officer at California State University, Sacramento; Teresa Shaw, special assistant to the president and secretary to the board of trustees at Pomona College; and Gretchen Bataille, previous president of the University of North Texas, and the chair of the visit

Final word of accreditation will be given between July 2015 and March 2016.

Rikke Bovre
News Editor
Published April 22nd, 2015