News Briefs: On Campus, Across the Nation & Around the World

6-year-old boyโ€™s body found in Agoura

An Idaho man accused of strangling a Southern California boy three decades ago has now been charged with killing a second boy whose body was found in Agoura Hills, according to the Ventura County Star.

Los Angeles County prosecutors say Kenneth Rasmuson was charged Thursday with the death of a 6-year-old boy who went missing in 1986 andย  whose body was later found in an Agoura Hills wash according to the article. The Ventura County Star reports Rasmuson is already facing a murder charge in connection with the 1981 death of another 6-year-old boy from Anaheim Hills, whose body was found in Pomona.

Rasmuson is a convicted child molester who could face the death penalty or life in prison if convicted, according to the Ventura County Star.

Texas hit with flash floods from hurricane

A powerful storm system rumbled through Texas on Saturday, flooding roads and causing a freight train to derail as parts of the state braced for remnants of Hurricane Patricia to arrive, according to a CBS News article.

CBS reported many parts of Texas were under flash flood warnings through Sunday and Monday. According to CNN, up to 20 inches of rain have fallen over parts of Texas, breaking some local rain records, with another six to 12 inches on their way โ€” even more in isolated spots.

The CBS article states the remnants of Patricia, which was downgraded to a tropical depression status and was expected to reach northern Mexico by Saturday night, may add to the rain falling in South and Central Texas, according to Jesse Moore, a National Weather Service forecaster in Fort Worth, Texas.

Drug super tunnel raided on U.S. border

United States federal agents raided a drug โ€œsuper tunnelโ€ with electrified railway on the U.S.-Mexico border after a six month investigation, reported CNN.

According to the news source, the tunnel stretched the length of eight football fields, from a Tijuana warehouse to a San Diego warehouse, and had a rail system, lighting, electricity and metal beams to prevent a cave-in.

Authorities confiscated at least 12 tons of marijuana with a street value of $6 million and arrested 22 people in San Diego and Tijuana in connection with the smuggling tunnel, announced U.S. Attorney Laura Duffy of Southern California according to CNN.

CNN revealed the tunnel is the 10th large-scale drug tunnel discovered in the San Diego area since 2006.

Indonesian President meets with Obama

The New York Times reported Indonesian President Joko Widodo said he would decide whether Southeast Asiaโ€™s largest economy would join the United States-led Pacific trade agreement after his meeting with President Barack Obama at the White House on Monday.

The Trans-Pacific Partnership is seen as a defense against Chinese influence in the region. Even without the $1 trillion Indonesian economy, it already contains two-fifths of the worldโ€™s economies including the U.S. and 11 other Pacific Rim nations, according to The New York Times.

The main focus of the four-day visit is trade โ€” Widodo is seeking billions of dollars in foreign investment and he and Obama are expected to announce several business deals.

Kristen Hansen
Published October 28th, 2015