On Friday Oct. 30, students, staff, and faculty were notified that the California Lutheran University Pearson Library was closed due to a natural gas leak on the back-west side of the building.
The library was closed from 7-10 a.m.
At 7 a.m. Supervisor of Campus Safety, Robert Sadeh was notified of a smell caused by the gas leak and immediately contacted the Ventura Country Fire Department as well as the Southern California Gas Company.
“The gas company said there is a leak over on the west outside, somewhere. A little bit leaked through the foundation of the library so they shut off the gas, so there is no more gas coming in,” Director of Campus Safety, David Hilke, said.
According to Hilke, the library was shut down to air out the building. The internal offices of the library were opened up to air out, and fans were brought in to clear out the smell.
“Nothing is registering on the meter right. We are just doing this as a precaution to get the smell out,” Hilke said.
By 11 a.m. the Cal Lutheran community received an alert notifying the campus the library was back open.
Published October 30th, 2015