Healthy eating: tips and tricks

Eating healthy and living on a college campus donโ€™t always seem to go hand- in- hand. I mean thatโ€™s pretty understandable, right? As college students, we have pretty busy schedules.

Classes, club meetings, work and not having a kitchen in your room tend to get in the way of being able to cook or eat healthy. Because of these factors, the freshman 15 can be very real to students. In order to ensure that the freshman 15 stays away, here are some easy tips and tricks on how to eat healthy on a daily basis during your time away at college.

Look up recipes on Instagram

One of my favorite places to look for healthy recipes is Instagram. Itโ€™s so easy to scroll through pictures and read step-by-step instructions on how to make the meal shown. Because I always have my phone on me, I can quickly go on the app and find recipes. Some of my favorite healthy recipe instagram pages include @healthyfoodadvice, @quickfitnessmeals and @healthyminutemeals.ย  ย  ย  ย  ย 

Plan your meals in advance

If you have everything you need to cook a meal, your life is going to be a lot easier. Iโ€™ve realized that I usually tend to eat junk food when I either donโ€™t know what I want to cook or donโ€™t have ingredients to make what I want. If you plan out your meals for the week, you wonโ€™t have to worry about what youโ€™re going to eat each day. Also, by planning out meals for the week, you can go to the grocery store and buy everything youโ€™re going to need. This way you wonโ€™t get lazy and indulge in junk food.

Cook the night before

As college students, we have a lot going on. From going to class or studying for a midterm, finding time to cook can be pretty difficult. One of the ways you can ensure that youโ€™ll have meals ready is to prepare them the night before. For those of you in rooms without kitchens, take advantage of the community kitchens in your residence halls.I love cooking dinner for the following night before going to bed. With my meals prepared, I can pick them up the next day and go.

Mix it up

Eating the same thing over and over again can not only get repetitive, it can also be extremely boring and tiring. Mixing up your meals and trying new recipes can make eating healthy fun and more consistent.

Dine out

If possible, try to have one meal a week where you can dine out. This way you wonโ€™t feel obligated to eat out all the time because youโ€™ll have a designated meal to look forward to.

Until next time, stay fabulous!

Natalie Kalamdaryan
    Opinion Editor
    Published November 11th, 2015