A&E Briefs: Film, TV, Broadway and more

KCLU wins big at Golden Mike Awards

KCLU, a radio station that is a community service of California Lutheran University, was awarded six Golden Mike Awards for news excellence at a ceremony Jan 23.

News Director Lance Orozco attended the Radio & Television News Association of Southern California 66th annual event which was held at the Universal Hilton in Universal City. KCLU was the top winner among Division B stations, a category for stations with five or fewer news staff members.

Among the wins was Best Radio Spot News Coverage, Best Radio Use of Sound, Best Radio Entertainment Reporting, and three others.

Zayn Malikโ€™s โ€˜Pillowtalkโ€™ hits No. 1

Zayn Malikโ€™s first single as a solo artist hit the top spot on iTunes in 60 countries after it was released late Jan. 28.

The accompanying music video features rumored girlfriend Gigi Hadid. According to Telegraph, the couple still hasnโ€™t confirmed their relationship publicly. This follows Malik and former fiancรฉe Perrie Edwardsโ€™ very public break-up last year after his newsworthy departure from One Direction.

Malikโ€™s upcoming album will feature a song about the breakup called โ€œItโ€™s You,โ€ Malik told Zane Lowe in a radio interview.

โ€œI just felt like I needed to put myself out there, just because it was a form of therapy for me,โ€ Malik said.

Barbie adds new body types to their dolls

On Jan. 28, Mattel, the maker of Barbie, announced that the infamous dolls will come in three new body types: tall, curvy and petite.

According to usatoday.com, the dolls will hit shelves March 1. By the end of 2016, there will be a total of 33 new dolls available. There were 23 new dolls introduced last year, which included a variety of different skin tones, hairstyles, outfits and even flat feet, meant to fit shoes other than Barbieโ€™s common high heels.

Michelle Chidoni, a spokeswoman for Barbie said the new product line is โ€œa better reflection of what girls see in the world around them.โ€ Mattel hopes to represent a โ€œbroader view of beautyโ€ and impact childrenโ€™s body image expectations.

Justine Goodiel
Published February 3rd, 2016