Intramural sports preview

The California Lutheran University intramural sports season will be the first in history where same sex and coed gender leagues are offered. It is set to commence Sunday Jan. 31, 2016.

โ€œThis season of intramurals is going to be the best yet. Three big sports. Amazing hall cups and tournaments,โ€ junior Dominic Lunde said in an email interview.

Under new leadership of Brett Billet, coordinator for intramural sports, outdoor recreation and the fitness center, this season will look different than those in the past.

โ€œOur new coordinator, Brett, brings a lot of experience in the field of official reffing and supervision which is of a professional caliber. That really gets me excited,โ€ Lunde said.

This season there will be basketball, outdoor soccer, indoor volleyball, and a short dodgeball league held later in the semester. In efforts to give players equal opportunities, each team is required to have two members of either gender on the court or field at the same time as opposed to past seasons where one member of either gender was required.

โ€œItโ€™s open to everybody. Anybody can play,โ€ Billet said.

โ€œIโ€™ve had a lot of fun playing intramurals and I have played since I was a freshman so donโ€™t be afraid to play them or sign up with your friends because theyโ€™re fun and it is a good way to meet people and get involved in the school,โ€ senior Sean Bellotti said.

Although team signups are closed, individual signups will be open until the end of the season. If you are interested in joining a team go to IMleagues.com to sign up. Imleagues will also provide players access to team records, stats and more throughout the intramural season.

โ€œWe are planning on producing some amazing new media,โ€ Lunde said. Along with providing a variety of leagues to enter, the intramural sports staff is planning on filming a game per week and posting it online for players to see.

If none of these sports interest you or fit into your schedule, there will be a flag football tournament held Apr 2 in the Rolland stadium.

โ€œOne thing that I think students are excited about is by popular demand I am going to have a flag football tournament,โ€ Billet said.

Basketball will be 5-on-5 and have two leagues, a menโ€™s league and a coed league. There are 10 teams signed up for the coed league games, which will be held Thursday nights from 7-10 p.m. at the Soiland gym. The menโ€™s league games will be held Wednesday nights at the same time and place.

Coed outdoor soccer has 16 teams signed up and will be played 7-on-7. These games will be held Sunday afternoons in the Rolland stadium from 11 a.m.- 4 p.m.

Coed volleyball will be held on Tuesday nights from 7-10 p.m. in Soiland as well.

With multiple different leagues and a lot of team sign ups for each sport, Cal Lutheran intramurals is anticipating a good season.

For more information about upcoming events and this season of intramurals like the โ€œCLU Rec Sportsโ€ Facebook page.

Lydia Snodderly
    Published February 3rd, 2016