Jeremy Sulker-Hall: Back and better than ever

The Kingsmen basketball team has many standout players, but graduate student forward, Jeremy Sulker-Hall, has come back from his year off and is leading the way for his team.

Jeremy Sulker-Hallโ€™s poised demeanor has not only affected his game, but also his teammatesโ€™ as well. He is averaging 13.4 points and 6.3 rebounds per game this season.  Photo by Roman Valenzuela - Staff Photojournalist
Jeremy Sulker-Hallโ€™s poised demeanor has not only affected his game, but also his teammatesโ€™ as well. He is averaging 13.4 points and 6.3 rebounds per game this season.
Photo by Roman Valenzuela – Staff Photojournalist

Sulker-Hall is no stranger to the Cal Lutheran basketball program.ย  After his senior year he decided to take a year off to work, and now he has returned to California Lutheran University for graduate school and to use his last year of athletic eligibility.

Although Sulker-Hall was not committed to the game of basketball during his year off, it did give him a chance to become more of a student of the game.

โ€œMentally, it gave me a chance to reevaluate the things that I needed to work on; things I could do coming into the season,โ€ Sulker-Hall said.ย  โ€œI think Iโ€™m [more] well-rounded now.โ€

Kingsmen Head Coach Rich Rider has been here since Sulker-Hallโ€™s first year asย  a Kingsmen and has seen the young man mature as a basketball player.ย  This maturity has been more prevalent to Sulker-Hallโ€™s teammates since hisย  return.

โ€œHe is much calmer, plays with much more confidence, and has turned out to be a very, very effective player,โ€ Rider said. โ€œThis has helped him become one of the teamโ€™s major scorers this season.โ€

Not only do Rider and Sulker-Hall believe that his year off has helped him on the court, but his teammates do as well.ย  A year off has allowed Sulker-Hall to grow his skill set and turn him into a powerhouse player this season.

โ€œI would say Jeremy is definitely one of our best players.ย  Heโ€™s our go-to option offensively. We run a lot of sets through him,โ€ junior center Curtis Opsahl said.ย  โ€œHe is very talented and very skilled.โ€

With a wide variety of talents, Sulker-Hall was the perfect addition to have back on the team. However, his demeanor in addition to his skill set provides an added dimension to his game.ย 

โ€œI think what makes Jer really really good at basketball is that he is super calm all the time. His emotion never changes, it helps him become a better player,โ€ senior point guard Dan Wade said.ย  โ€œA lot of the time he helps me out when Iโ€™m frantic on the court.ย  I know I can look and just see Jer chilling and know itโ€™s all going to be OK.โ€

Sulker-Hall said he believes that the growth he experienced during his year off has allowed him to bring certain traits he learned in a working environment to a team that was previously lacking those aspects.

โ€œI think that despite whether things are going our way or not, I have a good work ethic andย  that work ethic allows me to do my best to contribute whatever way I can, mostly being on the defensive end,โ€ Sulker-Hall said.

Being the oldest player on the team, Sulker-Hall is looked at by many as a leader, another aspect he has gained from taking a year off of school and maturing.

โ€œI am not the most vocal leader, but I think that my actions kind of speak louder than what I have to say,โ€ Sulker-Hall said.

His leadership has resonated well with his teammates.

โ€œHe is a pretty good leader on the court. He keeps everybodyโ€™s head in the right space,โ€ Wade said.ย 

Sulker-Hallโ€™s hustle and commitment speak for themselves and give room for others to follow.

โ€œAs a leader heโ€™s pretty serious but also lighthearted. He never takes anything too seriously but never goofs off too much,โ€ Opsahl said.ย  โ€œHe is just really easy to relate to and thatโ€™s a great trait as a leader of a group of guys who are all different and have all different ages. It kind of helps unite the team.โ€

Sulker-Hall said he enjoyed his year-long break.

โ€œItโ€™s always nice to get back to being fresh,โ€ Sulker-Hall said.

As Sulker-Hallโ€™s last season comes to an end, he is continuously making strides and showing how great of a player he has become.

Dean Hendrix
Published February 10th, 2016