The Year of the Monkey

Food, laughter and tradition were shared as students and faculty gathered for a belated celebration of the Chinese New Year of the Monkey at the International Student Services Lounge on Feb. 18.

Toby Chan teaches Badarinath Peddireddy how to properly use chop sticks at the Chinese New Year event on Feb. 8. in the International Student Services Lounge.  Photo by Brady Mickelson - Multimedia Journalist
Toby Chan teaches Badarinath Peddireddy how to properly use chop sticks at the Chinese New Year event on Feb. 8. in the International Student Services Lounge.
Photo by Brady Mickelson – Multimedia Journalist

The Year of the Monkey began on Feb. 8 and marks the beginning of the most important time in the Chinese calendar. It is often a time to rejoice with friends and family.

For the Chinese international students at California Lutheran University, it is a time that can sometimes feel lonely.

Chen-en Liu helps international students learn and manage the English language while they attend Cal Lutheran through the ELS Language Center. He said he understands the importance of surrounding Chinese international students with a sense of their home during the new year.

โ€œInternational students are very far away from their hometown and they will feel homesick especially during this very important festival,โ€ Liu said. โ€œWe want to make them feel at home.โ€

At the heart of every Chinese New Year celebration is food. Linda Boberg, who organized the event, said she believes lining the room with various Chinese cuisines is one way to bring a sense of home to the students.

โ€œWe host this event for the Chinese students, which is our largest population of international students,โ€ Boberg said. โ€œThe food that we serve is the type that the students told us they would get at home.โ€

Although chow mein and fried rice lined the tables inside of the International Student Services Lounge, attendees of the event said one of the most important dishes were the dumplings. The savory meat-filled balls of dough have a long history and tradition in the Chinese culture.

Qijie Zhang, a graduate student at Cal Lutheran, said he remembered dumplings always playing a major role in Chinese New Year celebrations.

โ€œWe used to put some money, sugar or peanuts inside the dumpling,โ€ Zhang said. โ€œIf you bite the money it means your following year could be very rich. If you bite the peanut the following year will bring you happiness. If you bite the sugar the following year will be sweet.โ€

โ€œIt is their home celebration and they love it,โ€ Boberg said.

Food was not the only reminder of home for the students. Countless other Chinese traditions wereย  incorporated for them.

David Chang, a professor at Cal Lutheran, led students and faculty in the Tai Chi demonstration. As soft Chinese music played in the background, Chang glided his motions through the air.

A table was assigned to calligraphy where people could see how their name was written in Chinese. Red envelopes were also passed out that are meant to bring good luck. Additionally, there were tables for chopstick challenges and dragon mask coloring.

The Chinese international students said they appreciated the reminders of home, but what they enjoy the most is being surrounded by other Chinese people.

โ€œWe just enjoy the moment with our Chinese people,โ€ Zhang said. โ€œWhen we celebrate together we feel well at home.โ€

The celebration of the Chinese New Year of the Monkey also provided the general student body with a unique look into customs and a way of life that is different from their own.

โ€œIt shows Cal Lutheran students other cultures which is what our department is all about,โ€ Boberg said.

Andrew Davies
Published February 24th, 2016