Sports Briefs: News From Around the Leagues

Diaz dethrones McGregor in UFC 196

Conor McGregor lost to Nate Diaz in a fight on March 5, forcing McGregor to reconsider his weight class ambitions, according to The Telegraph.

McGregor is a UFC featherweight champion and was defeated at welterweight.

According to The Telegraph, McGregor was submitted by a rear naked choke, after being โ€œhurt by a left hand early in the second.โ€

โ€œIt is what it is. I was fighting a heavier man,โ€ McGregor said to The Telegraph.

McGregor will now go back to defending his title in featherweight, likely at the high UFC 200 show in Las Vegas in July, according to The Telegraph.

Holm loses title fight to Meisha Tate

Meisha Tate submitted defending bantamweight champion Holly Holm with a rear-naked choke at 3:30 of the final round of their 135-pound title fight, ABC7 reported. Tate latched herself onto Holmโ€™s back in the center of the stage. According to ABC7, โ€œHolm stood, wearing Tate as a backpack.โ€

โ€œI let my guard down and it cost me the fight,โ€ Holm said in her postmatch news conference.

As she was defeated, Holm went unconscious, still throwing punches in the air.

Holm retained her champion status for less than four months since defeating Ronda Rousey.

Peyton Manning announces retirement

Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning announced his retirement at a press conference on March 7 according to Bleacher Report.

According to the FiveThirtyEight website, Manning has played 17 NFL seasons, has won five NFL MVP awards and two Super Bowls.

โ€œPeyton Manningโ€™s extraordinary career was driven by his talent, an incredible work ethic and an unwavering desire to be the bestโ€ฆPeytonโ€™s competitive fire and love of the game made him a legendary player who thrilled fans for a generation,โ€ NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement, according to ESPN.

Manningsโ€™ retirement comes following a win at the Super Bowl 50 on Feb. 7.

Ellinor Rundhovde
    Published March 9th, 2016