Santa Paula man arrested after car pursuit
According to the Ventura County Star, a Santa Paula man was arrested by police April 3 after a car pursuit in relation to a stolen vehicle report.
The Santa Paula Police Department initiated the pursuit after receiving an “Attempt to Locate” request from the Ventura Country Sheriff’s Department early Sunday morning, the Ventura County Star reported.
The man has been identified as Matthew Duenas, 28.
In the car pursuit, officials said Duenas ran red lights, stop signs and at times drove on the wrong side of the road in hopes of escaping the officers.
According to the Ventura County Star, Duenas was arrested on suspicion of unlawful driving of a stolen vehicle, evading an officer and reckless driving.
Muslim family forced to leave flight
A Muslim family was forced off a flight and are now seeking an apology from the airline, CNN reported. The incident occurred at Chicago O’Hare airport last month, where the Muslim family was scheduled on a flight operated by United Airlines.
The mother, Eaman-Amy Saad Shebley, recorded a YouTube video in which she explained her incident. According to the video, Shebley and her family were told to leave after a discussion with United flight attendants about how to secure a booster seat for her child.
Ahmed Rehab of the Council on American-Islamic Relations is representing the family.
“We are tired of Muslim-looking passengers being removed from flights … under a cryptic claim of ‘security’,” Rehab said to CNN.
Police charge third man for terror attack
A third man was charged in Belgium in relation to a failed plan to perform a terror attack in France, the New York Times reported.
According to the New York Times, authorities across Europe have been arresting suspects and conducting raids since the bombings at Brussels Airport and a Brussels subway station March 22 that left 32 dead.
Belgium has been through “the darkest days in the history of aviation,” Arnaud Feist, the chief executive of Brussels Airport said to the New York Times April 2.
The charged man is reportedly a 33-year-old Belgian citizen.
Immigrant boats leave Greece for Turkey
According to BBC, the first boats carrying migrants from Greece to Turkey left early April 4.
The migrants are being transported from Lesbos, Greece to Dikili, Turkey as part of a EU deal meant to relieve mass migration in Europe. The deal has been heavily criticized by rights groups, CNN reported.
According to the Associated Press, migrants in Greece have complained about a lack of information regarding the possibility of being sent back and the EU agency responsible for transporting them has less than one-tenth of the staff needed for the task.
Turkish officials said they are expecting to receive around 500 people.
Oil rig worker files million dollar lawsuit
An oil rig worker on the Transocean Deepwater rig is filing a million dollar lawsuit after she said she was secretly recorded while at work, according to CNN.
According to the woman, a innocuous-looking clothing hook was mounted on the back of the door to her sleeping quarters. Due to the sparse decoration of the room, the hook seemed out of place, and a few days later it disappeared only to show up in a female coworker’s room. The two women discovered a small, motion-activated recording device containing footage of a private nature.
According to CNN, the woman immediately went to her supervisors to report the incident but received a dismissive response.
Published April 6th, 2016