Softball snapped by Sagehens in doubleheader

California Lutheran Universityโ€™s softball team took on Pomona-Pitzer in a doubleheader on April 10.

Junior pitcher Nicole White-Madolara gave up just one run in 3.1 innings of work in the second game of the doubleheader on April 10. Photo by Kamehana Lee - Staff Photographer
    Junior pitcher Nicole White-Madolara gave up just one run in 3.1 innings of work in the second game of the doubleheader on April 10.
    Photo by Kamehanaokala Lee – Staff Photographer

During their first game, the Regals started out with a 5-0 lead in the first inning. However, as the game went on, the Sagehens slowly clawed their way back into the game and eventually ended up winning with an 8-6 score.

โ€œEach team has seven chances to score, so we come up with our first chance and score five runs ,but then the other team gets the same amount of chances, so they started to put some runs and pick away and pick away and eventually they ended up all in all scoring more than we ended up scoring,โ€ Assistant Coach Sam Fischer said.

Once Pomona-Pitzer started to score a few runs and chip away at the Regalsโ€™ lead, the team couldnโ€™t keep their mental focus.

โ€œWe scored a lot in the beginning and then we just couldnโ€™t fight back,โ€ sophomore infielder Antonia Rapisardi said. โ€œWe were just swinging at pitches we shouldnโ€™t have been swinging at and kind of lose ourselves when the game starts to go wrong.โ€

Overall, the first game was an unexpected loss because the Regals started out strong, but couldnโ€™t fight back as the opposing team continued to make runs.

โ€œIt was just one of those games where we got comfortable in our good lead and the other team kind of just chipped away and came back,โ€ Fischer said.

After the second game, the Regals fell short again losing 6-0, not being able to generate enough offense to score against the Sagehens.

โ€œWe just didnโ€™t string a lot of hits together and thatโ€™s how you win games. You win by manufacturing runs and we didnโ€™t manufacture runs this game,โ€ Fischer said.

One of the reasons Cal Lutheran couldnโ€™t get enough runs was because they werenโ€™t able to foresee how the pitcher was going to throw. The Regals werenโ€™t expecting a strong play from Pomona-Pitzerโ€™s Liz Rodarte. Even though her pitches werenโ€™t fast, the movement on her pitches was enough to deceive the Regals hitters.

โ€œTheir pitching was better during the second game. She didnโ€™t have speed, but she had a lot of movement which kind of threw us off,โ€ย  Hannah Brown, senior outfielder said.

Because the other team maintained strong pitching, the Regals also struggled to make effective offensive plays.

โ€œWe just had a hard time finding a groove off this pitcher. I think that she surprised us with how well she threw and I think it was the offense we just didnโ€™t put anything together,โ€ Fischer said.

Despite lacking a strong offensive game, the Regals played stellar defense throughout the doubleheader, committing just one error total in both games.

โ€œI think that they played good defense. A lot of the runs that they scored were earned runs. We did make some mistakes, but thatโ€™s going to happen in softball. Youโ€™re going to make mistakes every game,โ€ย  Fischer said. โ€œI think they did a good job holding their own on defense and they didnโ€™t get as rattled as we have in a past. I think theyโ€™re doing a good job coming along mentally and defensively.โ€

Cal Lutheran still plans to come out strong in the second half of their season to place themselves as one of the top four teams.

โ€œWe will play them again not this Friday, but next Friday at their house. We want to be in the top four. We have to play everybody again. This is right now the halfway point, so we still have plenty of time to get back on top. We just have to keep winning,โ€ย  Fischer said.

The Regals will have to wait until April 22 to play Pomona next and their next game is at Claremont-Mudd-Scripps on April 15.

Sarin Goncuian