News Briefs: On Campus, Across the Nation & Around the World

Woman killed by tiger in Florida zoo

CNN reported that Stacey Konwiser, 38, was killed by a Malayan tiger at the Palm Beach Zoo in Florida on April 15.

Konwiser was the lead tiger keeper at the zoo. She was killed in the area where the tigers are fed and sleep according to spokeswoman Naki Carter.

CNN said zoo officials said Konwiser did not do anything out of the ordinary, she was preparing a โ€œTiger Talkโ€ for zoo visitors.

According to Carter, visitors did not see what happened because the tiger was off-exhibit at the time. The zoo was closed for the day after the attack.

Earthquake in Ecuador kills 238 people

CNN reported that a 7.8 earthquake shook Guayaquil, Ecuador, leaving 238 dead and over 1,500 wounded on April 16. According to Vice President Jorge Glas, death rates are expected to rise.

โ€œA state of emergency is in effect for six provinces – Guayas, Manabi, Santo Domingo, Los Rios, Esmeraldas and Galapagos,โ€ CNN reported.

The U.S Geological Survey said this 7.8 earthquake is the deadliest earthquake since a 7.2 tembler struck the nation in March 1987.

CNN reported there was a tsunami warning but the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said the tsunami threat more than likely passed.

Two UK minors charged with murderย 

According to CNN, two 14-year-old girls have been charged with murder in the UK town of Spalding.

Police said the bodies found on April 15 were 49-year-old Elizabeth Edwards and her 13-year-old daughter Katie.

Superintendent Paul Timmins said the deaths sent shocks through the town of 29,000. Timmins said this type of crime is very rare and he believes this is an isolated incident.

CNN reported Detective Chief Inspector Martin Holvey is urging to speak to anyone who may have relevant information or had seen activity at the home between April 13-15.

CNN reported โ€œpolice are conducting forensic investigations.โ€

Judge overturns oldest cold case conviction

CNN reported that 76-year-old Jack McCullough was released from the oldest cold case ever after being sentenced for life.

McCullough was wrongly found guilty for the killing of a 7-year-old named Maria Ridulph.

According to CNN, โ€œMcCulloughโ€™s lawyers and DeKalb County stateโ€™s attorney Richard Schmack argued that McCulloughโ€™s conviction was based on false testimony, improper legal rulings controlling the evidence presented, and a timeline that was tweaked some 50 years after the fact to rule out McCulloughโ€™s alibi.โ€

McCullough has said from the beginning he could not have possibly taken and killed Ridulph because he was miles away from the incident talking to recruiters about enrolling in the Air Force.

Megan Blackburn