Sports Briefs: News From Around the Leagues

Conor McGregor takes back retirement

UFC superstar Conor McGregor took people by surprise on April 19 after saying that he “decided to retire young” but he has since gone back on this claim.

According to Newsweek, McGregor tweeted, “I have decided to retire young. Thanks for the cheese. Catch ya’s later.”

McGregor posted a message on his Facebook page on April 21 and ended the post with the statement, “I AM NOT RETIRED.”

UFC President Dana White confirmed McGregor would not be fighting Nate Diaz on July 9 in the much-anticipated rematch, Newsweek reported.

Former WWE star Chyna dies at 45

Former WWE great Chyna, 45, was found dead in her apartment by a friend on April 20.

According to the Independent, a police report confirmed she had been dead some time before being found.

A statement was released on her verified Twitter account. It read, “It is with deep sadness to inform you today that we lost a true icon, a real life superhero. Joanie Laurer aka Chyna, the 9th wonder of the world has passed away. She will live forever in the memories of her millions of fans and all of us that loved her.”

The exact nature of the death is still under investigation. A friend has revealed Chyna was mixing prescription drugs and alcohol the days leading up to her death, the Independent reported.

Shaw suspended after homophobic slur

The NHL suspended Andrew Shaw, Blackhawks Center, for using a homophobic slur after receiving a penalty.

According to the Chicago Tribune, Shaw raised both middle fingers at officials and went on a tirade en route to the penalty box on April 19.

“I wanted to apologize for my actions — I have no excuses for anything. I want to apologize to the gay and lesbian community. That’s not the type of guy I am,” Shaw said.

The NHL suspended Shaw for Game 5 against the St. Louis Blues and fined him $5,000, the Chicago Tribune reported.

Justine Goodiel