Regals Evenly Matched with Poets

The Regals soccer team of California Lutheran University hosted the Poets of Whittier College at William Rolland Stadium Oct. 5 at 7 p.m. After battling on the pitch for 110 minutes, the squads proved to be evenly matched in the 1-1 draw.

Cal Lutheran got started early on the attack when junior midfielder Sarah Wardle fired a shot on goal in the 2nd minute. The Regals threatened again in the 15th minute when sophomore defender Riley Martin delivered a phenomenal cross that junior forward Kali Youngdahl headed just over the crossbar.

โ€œI think we played well for a good portion of the game, but there were spurts we didnโ€™t play as well as we could have,โ€ Head Coach Frank Marino said. โ€œIโ€™m still happy with how we played, but Iโ€™m not thrilled with the result. Thatโ€™s not really what we were looking for.โ€

The rest of the first half included a multitude of fouls from both sides in a physical match. The Regals had another opportunity on a corner kick in the 32nd minute but they were unable to convert. The teams went into the second half with the score tied 0-0.

Cal Lutheran provided the first goal of the match in the 63rd minute when Martin whipped in a cross from a corner kick and senior defender Julia Kearns headed it into the back of the net. This gave the Regals a 1-0 advantage.

Moving past: Bri Pinal defends against Whittier by taking lead of the ball.  Photo Credit--Ashleigh Coulter Staff Photographer
    Moving past: Bri Pinal defends against Whittier by taking lead of the ball.
    Photo Credit–Ashleigh Coulter Staff Photographer

โ€œWeโ€™ve been working on set plays and getting on the end of corners. We have a really specific drill just to work on heading,โ€ Kearns said. โ€œIโ€™ve gotten a lot better at it. This season I decided to get in there and it finally paid off.โ€

Shortly after conceding this goal, Whittier started moving the ball well in the attacking third of the pitch when they won a free kick within striking distance. They scored the equalizing goal on a header from junior forward Leila Afrasiyabi after a delivery from freshman defender Jennifer Muise.

A violent foul by freshman defender Clarissa Terris of the Poets produced a physical altercation in the 75th minute. Terris was shown a yellow card for her involvement in the altercation. This scuffle would incite some very aggressive play for the remainder of the match. The teams together had combined for a total of 33 fouls in the match.

Senior forward Katelyn Kimball picked up a yellow card of her own in the 79th minute after shoving an opposing player. Sophomore midfielder Sarah Tadeusiak also earned herself a yellow card in the final minute of the game.

Neither team was able to produce any clear-cut scoring opportunities in either of the two overtimes. The best opportunity for the Regals came on a bouncing ball in the penalty box in the dying seconds of the match, but they were unable to capitalize.

โ€œI think, besides the one set piece, we played phenomenally. All they could do was get shots outside of the 18-yard box so I think we did our job as defenders,โ€ junior defender Olivia Leyva said. โ€œWe left it all out on the field. I have no regrets.โ€

Five Regal players contributed one shot on goal including Taduesiak, Leyva, Wardle, Kearns and sophomore forward Ryley Settles.

Cal Lutheranโ€™s next match will be Oct. 12 at 7 p.m. inside William Rolland Stadium as they take on the Athenas of Claremont-Mudd-Scipps.

Jeff Rebello