Regals are SCIAC Champs Again

The California Lutheran University womenโ€™s volleyball team continued their strong postseason presence hosting the semi-final and final matches against Pomona-Pitzer and No. 4. Claremont-Mudd-Scripps, respectively. The Regals won six straight sets to claim the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Postseason Tournament Championship Title for the seventh season in a row.

โ€œWe talked a lot about us rather than who weโ€™re playing. We focused more on what we needed to do together as the 17 of us and how we play as one instead of who our opponent is,โ€ junior middle blocker Molly Holloway said.

Cal Lutheran defeated the Pomona-Pitzer Sagehens 3-0 Nov. 3 in the semi-final game. The Regals started off strong and took an assertive lead over the Sagehens. The Regals only allowed Pomona-Pitzer nine points in the entire set.

Junior outside hitter Hope Stewart helped out on service with a seven-point scoring run to put the Regals up 22-7. Cal Lutheran was able to hold off the Sagehens for the next three points and took the set 25-9.

The second set started off with eight straight points by the Regals. Cal Lutheran took the lead and ran with it for the remainder of the set, winning it 25-19.

Victorious: (L to R) #11 Nicki Tetherow, #8 Jamie Smith, #17 Michelle Lawrence and #9 Monica Lundgren. Lawrence attacks the ball for the Regals in the Final SCIAC match-up against CMS on Saturday. Photo Credit--Annette Sousa Staff Photographer
    Victorious: (L to R) #11 Nicki Tetherow, #8 Jamie Smith, #17 Michelle Lawrence and #9 Monica Lundgren. Lawrence attacks the ball for the Regals in the Final SCIAC match-up against CMS on Saturday.
    Photo Credit–Annette Sousa Staff Photographer

The Sagehens started on top in the third set but the Regals never stopped pushing. They regained the lead at 14-6 and didnโ€™t give it up. The Sagehens were unable to close the gap and Cal Lutheran pulled out the win 25-20.

Nov. 5 was the day to watch as the two top SCIAC opponents went up for the Championship title and automatic bid into the NCAA DIII Regional Tournament. The Athenas, ranked No. 4 nationally and No. 2 in the tournament played the Regals, ranked No. 2 nationally and No. 1 in the tournament.

โ€œWe just havenโ€™t been thinking about it, weโ€™re trying to win one game at a time right now. I think the kids are in the right mindset. Theyโ€™re really trying to focus on the present,โ€ Head Coach Kellee Roesel said.

The Regals were able to finish the season strong by sweeping the Athenas in the final. However, the first set was a battle for the Regals.

Initially the Regals started off strong with a 4-2 lead, but the Athenas did not give up. They continued to play hard and both teams traded leads multiple times. At one point the match was as close as 19-17. The Violet and Gold scored four straight points consecutively in order to win the hard-fought match 25-21.

โ€œI think we were really just staying positive and keeping the energy up and really focusing on our serves,โ€ senior middle blocker Sarah Pappas said.

The Violet and Gold started the second set off with a strong 10-4 lead over the Athenas. CMS continued to battle and caught up 13-11 but that was not enough to win the set. The Regals finishedย  it 25-19.

Stewart helped the team score five straight points while serving to give the Regals an early lead in the third set. The Regals grew their lead to 16-8 and managed to keep the Athenas on the defensive. They took the set 25-16 winning the game and the postseason championship title.

โ€œFor a lot of us this could be our last home game we play here so we were just trying to enjoy every second of itโ€ฆItโ€™s just putting all my heart into every game and practice,โ€ Pappas said.

With this win Cal Lutheran recieved an automatic bid into the NCAA Division III Womenโ€™s Volleyball Tournament.

The Regional Tournament will take placeย  at the University of Northwestern-St. Paul, in Minnesota Nov. 10-12. The Regals will compete against Concordia University of Wisconsin for the First Round o Regional play. The Regals look to repeat their National Championship win this year.

Courtney Sooy
    Sports Editor

and

Anissa Frajio