Regals Suffer Tough Defeat To Lady Lions

Itโ€™s been a rough start to the season for the California Lutheran University womenโ€™s softball team, who dropped their fifth game in a row in a home double header match at Hutton Field, against Piedmont College in non-conference play Tuesday, March 6.

The Regals defensively came out tough against the Lady Lions of Piedmont College, and were able to only give up three hits over five innings in the first game with excellent pitching from sophomore Brittany Workman and great defensive glove work by senior Olivia Leyva. While holding on to a 1-0 lead they obtained in the second inning when Workman hit a sacrifice fly ball to centerfield scoring Leyva. The Regals couldnโ€™t hold on and lost the opening game 4-1 when the Lions had a monster 6th inning where they had 4 hits and scored 3 runs.

โ€œOn a bright side, I thought our defense played great and were making all the plays,โ€ said Head Coach Debby Day.

While the pitching and fielding behind has been solid, the Regals struggled to generate any offense, which has been recurring problem for the team throughout the early part of this 2018 season.

The Regals currently, as a team, have a batting average of .240 and an on base percentage of .296, while hitting 3 homeruns through 12 games this season and have a slugging percentage of .339.

โ€œWeโ€™ve just been inconsistent offensively and we have got to find a way to score more runs,โ€ Day said. โ€œI think itโ€™s difficult to pitch from a position were you arenโ€™t allowed to give up any runs, itโ€™s difficult when you have an offense thatโ€™s strugglingโ€.

To start the second game the Lions continued where they left off in game one with some great hitting and were able to jump out to an early lead 1-0 lead in the first inning.

The Regals came out swinging to start the game and were more aggressive offensively, and were able to put more quality at bats together.

โ€œI can see a change from the first game to the second game with our aggression at the plate, we ended up having more hits and we were in the lead for some of the game, it is just a matter of holding on to that, and hold on to that aggression,โ€ Leyva said.

The Regals were able to piece together seven hits on 28 at bats in the second game while only hitting three in the first game.

Senior infielder Antonia Rapisardi continued to recognize the great play of the teamโ€™s defense, and was proud of the way it kept them in the game.

โ€œOur defense was pretty good, our pitchers would give up some hits but our defense would be right there ready to get the balls and field their runners out,โ€ Rapisardi said.

Even with more of an attitude at the plate the Regals were not able to hold once again and lost the second game of the double header 6-3.

The Regals are keeping their head up because they know they have a long season ahead of them and are in no way out of it yet to make a postseason run.

โ€œWe just have to play more mentally tough, just play more aggressive and that we are going to restart our season now and the next 28 games weโ€™re just going to go all out,โ€ Rapisardi said.

The Regals next game will be a double header Monday March 12 where they will take on Western Connecticut State University. The first game will start at noon.

Dillon Brown