Junior Swims Her Way To All-America Honors

Junior Grace Sanchez finished in tenth place in the 50-yard freestyle at the NCAA Division III Swimming and Diving Championships. She earned All-America honors with this performance at the Indiana University Natatorium. Photo by Paige Rankin- Photojournalist
    Junior Grace Sanchez finished in tenth place in the 50-yard freestyle at the NCAA Division III Swimming and Diving Championships. She earned All-America honors with this performance at the Indiana University Natatorium.
    Photo by Paige Rankin- Photojournalist

Grace Sanchez has faced adversity in the past and thrived through this adversity and saw herself become an All-American. She is not a swimmer who backs down when the challenge gets tough.

In her freshman year, she struggled with injuries but fought back to place fifth in the conference championships. Her Sophomore year produced hardships as well, as out of the pool conflicts caused a struggle and she felt herself going through the dreaded, โ€œsophomore slump.โ€

But through all of the challenges and hard work, she pushed her way through her junior season and into the NCAA Division III Swimming and Diving Championships where she placed 10th in the 50-yard freestyle earning All-America status.

โ€œItโ€™s truly an amazing experience that Iโ€™ll never be able to get over,โ€ Sanchez said. โ€œAfter all of the hard work, Iโ€™ll always be able to say that I competed in National Championships. I swam for all of my teammates and coaches who motivated me to keep going and perform at the highest level.โ€

In her first race in the championships, Sanchez broke the school record as she touched the wall with a time of 23.44. She preceded this by placing second in the consolation finals finishing 10th overall in the nation.

โ€œEvery time I swim, I go through whatโ€™s called a white-out moment,โ€ Sanchez said. โ€œOnce I get in that pool, my body begins to work off of muscle memory and before I realize it, the race is over and my first reaction is, โ€˜what just happened, how did I do?โ€โ€™

She said she attributes this skill to all of the long hours that she put to training and trusting that during the race, all of the technique and strength will come naturally.

โ€œI donโ€™t know how it works, but when you have a white out moment, you know that you did everything to the best of your ability and youโ€™ll never be able to replicate it,โ€ Sanchez said.

But performing at the best of her ability did not always come easy for Sanchez, as the long hours and hard work sometimes proved overwhelming.

โ€œThere were times that I would just feel overwhelmed and honestly just wanted to break down,โ€ Sanchez said.

During times like these, it was Sanchezโ€™s roommate, junior Kaitlyn Sloniker, who proved to be her biggest help.

โ€œI know how much work she puts in and all the effort,โ€ Sloniker said. โ€œSo when sheโ€™s feeling overwhelmed, I just try and stay supportive and do whatever I can to motivate her, even if that includes making her food so that she can get through the day.โ€

Sanchez attributes a lot of her success to her friends, teammates and coaches, as well as her club coach, Francois Harris.

โ€œIโ€™m not surprised at all of what sheโ€™s accomplished,โ€ Harris said. โ€œI always knew that she had it in her and watching her accomplish this felt absolutely amazing.โ€

Sanchez began training with Harris when she was just 11 years old and he continues to mentor and motivate her while at Cal Lutheran.

โ€œI was really proud that she found a way to blend what she learned from me as well as what she learned from her coaches at school,โ€ Harris said. โ€œEven though she is at school, I continue to help her and motivate her and get through to her, that she can do this.โ€

However, the hard work for Sanchez is not over yet as she sets her sights on preparing forย  next year. She will look to improve during her senior campaign.

โ€œMy goal for next season is to work my way back to the championships and this time place in the top five,โ€ Sanchez said.ย 

โ€œShe can do it,โ€ Harris said. โ€œThe difference with her is that she doesnโ€™t give up when things get tough. She is a confirmation that through all of the training and hard work, you can accomplish your goal.โ€

Scott Roberts