Regals Soccer Season Preview

The successful season last year put the team in the 19th spot in the nation before it came to a heartbreaking end. After losing in the third round at the NCAA Sweet Sixteen tournament, the California Lutheran University womenโ€™s soccer team is back and ready to make a name for itself inย the 2018 season.

After losing six graduating seniors, the Regals have regrouped and recently completed their first tournament in Minnesota, going 1-1-0 overall. With a win against competitive Augsburgย University (1-0) and a tie against Hamline University (0-0), Head Coach Frank Marino is excited to move into league play and see what theย teamย can do.

โ€œWe had a really good win against Augsburg. Theyโ€™re a good team; they won their conference last year,โ€ Marino said. โ€œWe played good against Hamline, but unfortunately we couldnโ€™t score which was kind of a bummerโ€ฆ but to get out of there without a loss was a positive.โ€

Though the Regals struggled to find the back of the net during their first preseason tournament,ย the defense heldย its own with great plays by junior midfielder Maddy Griess and sophomore goalkeeper Gabby Flores.

โ€œWe started at a level that was very high comparative to other years where we had to go through the tryout process a little bit more, so we had a lot of talent and practice was very competitive right away,โ€ Griess said. โ€œThe new players that we got; theyโ€™re very technical and they bring in a lot of key elements that we were missing.โ€

After a strong showing at their Minnesota tournament, the Regals are excited to continue to play and show everyone what they are truly made of this year.

โ€œLooking toward this season, I think our team is going to be pretty tough, and not just physically and technically, but mentally too,โ€ Flores said. โ€œWe have a lot of players who are again being challenged every day for their positionโ€”just the way it should be on any team.โ€

The Regals played their first Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SCIAC) game on Wednesday, Sept. 5,ย ending in a 0-0 tieย againstย Occidental College, maintaining their undefeated title.

โ€œIt was our first SCIAC game and I think that with the way the schedule is this year, playing that game a week earlier than we usually start, I think we didnโ€™t play as well as I wouldโ€™ve liked,โ€ Marino said. โ€œWeโ€™re still trying to find ourselvesโ€”find what kind of personnel works in what positions and thatโ€™s where weโ€™re at.โ€

Though they are still working out some kinks, the Regals attribute much of their success on the field to their team chemistry and culture as a whole.

โ€œWe have a really good team chemistry,โ€ Griess said. โ€œThatโ€™s one of the things that we pride ourselves on is being able to make the new girlsโ€ฆ feel like they are a part of something bigger than themselves, that they are a part of the team.โ€

Looking toward the rest of the season, Marino and the Regals are ready to make a new name for themselves.

โ€œThis year, thereโ€™s a lot of pressure from the previous success of last year and the previous years,โ€ Marino said. โ€œWeโ€™re early in the season and weโ€™re still kind of searching for whatโ€™s our identityโ€ฆ this team is going to find its own niche and its own path and its own identity.โ€

Alexa Barnes