Women’s Sports Teams Deserve Respect

The Los Angeles Dodgers, the Boston Celtics and the New York Giants are all popular sports teams we hear about on a regular basis; but can you think of the name of a professional womenโ€™s softball, basketball or soccer team off the top of your head? Probably not, and this is because womenโ€™s sports lack the coverage menโ€™s sports receive daily in the media.

โ€œIf you love sports, but youโ€™ve limited yourself to just menโ€™s sports for whatever reason, youโ€™re missing out on a lot,โ€ said reporter Jessica Luther in a Huffington Post article.

This could not be truer. Womenโ€™s college and professional sports teams are equally deserving of a community and fan base.

Itโ€™s possible people arenโ€™t as interested in womenโ€™s sports because there are less women working in the sports media outlets than men, and the men who dominate these outlets do not cover womenโ€™s sports enough.

The sports industry is male-dominated. According to the Boston Globe, 66 percent of coaches, umpires and other sports workers are male. The sports reporter in the newsroom is usually male, the sports commentator is usually male, the sports journalists are predominantly male and even the referees on the field are usually male. Why would an industry that is male alter its style for a community that is female?

In order for there to be a change in the media coverage of womenโ€™s sports, there needs to be a change in the media outlets that are covering them. Female athletes are just as skilled as men, and female sports commentators can be just as insightful in conversations on athletes and game coverage.

โ€œIt does help that there are now some sites dedicated to womenโ€™s sports, like The Equalizer, High Post Hoops, The Victory Press and, of course,ย espnW.ย Social media also gives people the ability to build networks that allow them to follow certain reporters and have conversations with other fans,โ€ Luther said.

Maybe the media doesnโ€™t cover womenโ€™s sports as much because the perceived lack of interest in watching women play compared with men means less money for the advertisers and companies televising the games. Each Super Bowl broadcast generates about $250 million through advertising, according to the How Stuff Works website.

Some people will simply claim that they are not interested in watching womenโ€™s sports at all. This is especially sad for the womenโ€™s sports teams that are way more successful than the menโ€™s teams.

The United States womenโ€™s soccer team has won three world cups, while the menโ€™s team has never won a world cup and did not even make it to compete in the World Cup held in Russia summer 2018. Even though the womenโ€™s team is three times better than the menโ€™s team, as of 2016, the women get paid 40 percent of what the men do, Luther said.

Along with the U.S. womenโ€™s soccer team, another successful womenโ€™s team is our very own Regals volleyball team at California Lutheran University. The womenโ€™s volleyball team has won five NCAA Regional Championships and thirteen SCIAC Championships.

โ€œAs an athlete at a small school, we try to be there to support all other athletes on campus, but everyone understands the tough schedules and other priorities, so it can be tough to get a big turnout,โ€ said Cal Lutheran junior outside hitter Daniella Villano.

Villano said her favorite part about playing on the volleyball team is โ€œthe social aspect about it. I love being able to talk to others about the games and it’s really awesome when we get a lot of students to come support and make the gym loud!โ€

The worst argument someone can make is that no matter how talented women athletes are, men will always be the best.

Sarah Spain is a successful espnW columnist, ESPN radio host and SportsCenter reporter.

โ€œPeople always say, โ€˜We watch menโ€™s sports because theyโ€™re the best at what they do and women arenโ€™t the best.โ€™ Well, neither are little leaguers. So that argument really doesnโ€™t work,โ€ Spain said in an article for The Nation.

So what’s the difference? The sports are the same, the rules are the same, the skills and strength are the same. Even the uniforms are almost the same. Itโ€™s not fair that womenโ€™s sports are not as popular. I hope the coverage of womenโ€™s sports can and will be as popular as menโ€™s in the near future.

Luisa Virgen