Bring-Your-Own-Blanket: Picnic Day Takes Over Kingsmen Park

Six different food trucks ranging from Sushi-Ritoโ€™s to churros and burgers, photo-booths, music and lawn games. Once known as Food Truck Frenzy, Picnic Day was a bring-your-own-blanket event in Kingsmen Park that drew in more than 400 students.

Seniors Natalie Mendez (left) and Lauren Curl (right)  stop by Picnic Day after class and enjoy the wide variety of food offered. Photo by Jovanni Garcia - Photojournalist
    Seniors Natalie Mendez (left) and Lauren Curl (right) stop by Picnic Day after class and enjoy the wide variety of food offered.
    Photo by Jovanni Garcia – Photojournalist

Students were encouraged to grab food and socialize on Sept. 28 as part of the Associated Students of California Lutheran University Government sponsored event series.

โ€œOur goal this year was to really get people to stay and eat in the park,โ€ said ASCLU Programs Board Director Heather Wilson-Hooker. โ€œOne of the weaknesses we had with Food Truck Frenzy was that people took their food and left.โ€

Students had the choice between six different food trucks at Picnic Day Sept. 29. Photo by Jovanni Garcia - Photojournalist
    Students had the choice between six different food trucks at Picnic Day Sept. 29.

The change proved to be beneficial as long lines of students formed at the food trucks and Kingsmen Park filled with students eating on blankets and playing games.ย 

โ€œThis year we started the event earlier. In the past, we ran into the problem of people eating [but it] getting dark so no one really stayed,โ€ said Cambria Teter, coordinator for student involvement.

First-year students Evan Kling and Sean Blandino joined in on the picnic festivities.

โ€œThe setup created a community,โ€ Kling said. โ€œIt was really easy to meet and talk to new people. I was able to walk away with some new friends.โ€

Students brought blankets and friends to Kingsmen Park for Picnic Day Sept. 28. Photo by Jovanni Garcia - Photojournalist
    Students brought blankets and friends to Kingsmen Park for Picnic Day Sept. 28.

Blandino said he enjoyed the variety of food offered at the picnic and gave suggestions to help improve future events.

โ€œI think [we should] have the food trucks come more often. Everyone looks forward to having different food here,โ€ Blandino said. โ€œA few additional games might help it out and having it spread out a little more will bring even more people in.โ€

Scott Roberts