Playoff chances sacked by Panthers

After coming up short against the Panthers, the Kingsmen are tied for fourth in the league with a 2-2 record in SCIAC and a 3-4 record overall. Cal Lutheranโ€™s offense totaled 477 yards for the game, against Chapmanโ€™s 468 total offensive yards.  Photo by Sarah Harber - Photojournalist
    After coming up short against the Panthers, the Kingsmen are tied for fourth in the league with a 2-2 record in SCIAC and a 3-4 record overall. Cal Lutheranโ€™s offense totaled 477 yards for the game, against Chapmanโ€™s 468 total offensive yards.
    Photo by Sarah Harber – Photojournalist

Looking to deliver its second consecutive comeback victory in front of a jam-packed homecoming crowd at William Rolland Stadium, the California Lutheran University football teamโ€™s playoff chances were sacked with a 33-29 loss to the Chapman Panthers on Saturday, Oct. 20.

Late in the fourth quarter, the Kingsmen offense had an opportunity at the 9-yard line to extend its three-point lead over the visiting Panthers with a knockout blow.

But with its back up against the ropes inside the teamโ€™s own red zone, it was Chapmanโ€™s defense that delivered the real โ€œknockoutโ€ of the game as junior Cesar Delgado forced a fumble snatched out of the air by senior Ricky Medeiros with 4:48 left to play.

โ€œAs a defense, we needed to capitalize. And we did,โ€ Panthers senior defensive end Dakota Palmer said.

The Panthers followed it up with a momentum-shifting 95-yard touchdown pass from senior quarterback Ian Fieber to senior wide receiver Dominic Vaccher, who needed just seven catches to tally 307 yards receiving, the second most yards earned in a game by one player in Chapman history.

Cal Lutheranโ€™s late fourth-quarter comeback attempt was thwarted on a crucial third-and-10 as Kingsmen senior quarterback Eli Peters was met in the pocket by Palmer and junior defensive end Jonathan Bunnell for Chapmanโ€™s fourth sack of the game.

More pressure from the Panthers on fourth down forced Peters to rush his last-ditch effort to complete a pass that could advance Cal Lutheranโ€™s chances at the end.

โ€œThey did a really good job with what they were doing, moving fast and filling their gaps hard,โ€ said Noah Sutherland, Cal Lutheranโ€™s offensive line coach. โ€œBut our guys all played really great up front and Iโ€™m proud of them because everybody has played a million different positions all over the line.โ€

Chapman got on top of Cal Lutheran early in the first halfย  because of great defensive execution on third down. The Kingsmen were just 4-of-16 on third down opportunities on Saturday night.

On third-and-seven from their own 29-yard line, Cal Lutheran gave away what could have been a costly turnover when Bunnel forced a fumble while sacking Eli Peters.

But Cal Lutheranโ€™s defense held strong inside the red zone, forcing one of its three critical turnovers on downs to prevent Chapman from adding to its early 19-0 lead.

โ€œOur backers played good and locked down the run,โ€ said sophomore defensive back Christian Sanchez. โ€œWe played throughout the whole game and didnโ€™t give up. Iโ€™m really proud of everyone.โ€

Kingsmen linebackers senior Tyler Lozano and junior Ethan Pulley led the way with 10 tackles each. Senior defensive back Mason Evans finished with nine tackles and recorded Cal Lutheranโ€™s only takeaway of the game with a first-quarter interception.

The Kingsmen offense capitalized on the defensive stops, ending its scoring drought when junior tight end Rexford Demazeliere caught a pass from Peters and made some defenders miss en route to a 29-yard touchdown.

Peters, who finished with collegiate-career highs in passing yards and attempts in the loss, finished 22-of-33, adding his second passing touchdown of the day with a 66-yarder to sophomore wide receiver Ty Riley. The senior captain also showed off his dual-threat ability, dashing down the Kingsmen sideline with a 50-yard rushing score that narrowed Chapmanโ€™s lead to five with 9:57 remaining in the third quarter.

โ€œThat quarterback [Peters] man, he was something else,โ€ Palmer said. โ€œHeโ€™s shifty, very very versatile and we had a hard time containing the guy because once he got out, he was a lethal weapon.โ€

But after surrendering 22 consecutive points, Chapman reversed its fortunes with a 30-yard touchdown pass from Fieber to Vaccher to retake the lead late in the third quarter at 26-22.

The back-and-forth affair between the two teams continued two drives later as senior running back Chris Anderson followed a big pickup on the ground of 28 yards with a 53-yard rushing touchdown, giving Cal Lutheran its last lead of the game at 29-26 with 12:01 remaining.

โ€œDefensively, we played hard for a while. But then it would be one big play that would give them momentum,โ€ Sanchez said.

With the loss, the Kingsmen dropped to 3-4 on the season and moved into a tie for fourth with a 2-2 record in Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference games this season. After two consecutive home games, they are back on the road this Saturday, Oct. 27 at University of Redlands in a battle for the Smudge Pot trophy.

Jake Gould