Thousand Oaks ‘Makes Strides Against Breast Cancer’ in 5k Walk, Run

Hundreds of people dressed in pink lined up at the starting line to walk and run in a 5K for breast cancer awareness at the Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza.

People came to show support for their friends and family and cancer survivors told their stories to the crowd before the race.

Making Strides Against Breast Cancer hosted the event Oct. 27 to raise awareness and funds for breast cancer research in the Ventura County area.

Irvin Diaz, a runner wearing a pink shirt, socks and headbands said he chose to participate because he wanted to show support for people who are battling breast cancer.

“One of my friend’s moms had breast cancer, and she was always really nice to me. So I wanted to show my support and appreciation to her by running in this 5K,” Diaz said.

Diaz said he hopes the event helps get people to doctors for cancer screenings sooner rather than later.

Peter Kim, who walked the 5K, said he was “devastated by the news” when his wife told him she was diagnosed with breast cancer earlier this year.

“We personally know the effects of it, so we both wanted to come out today and participate in this event to show support for the survivors,” Kim said.

Kim said he greatly appreciates the other people who came to show support for those who have breast cancer and that organizations like MSABC “rally the community to come together and show support to their neighbors who are going through rough times.”

According to the MSABC website, events like the 5K walk raise proceeds to invest in breast cancer research, provide comprehensive information for those who have been diagnosed and support patients in recovery and remission.

Christian Ahn