New Pastor Finds ‘Seat at the Table’

For many, Dia de los Muertos, or the Day of the Dead, is a very special holiday celebrated in the Latin community to honor and remember lost loved ones. For Campus Minister Hazel Salazar-Davidson, this yearsโ€™ celebration will not only consist of remembrance, but also of new life.

Salazar-Davidson, who joined California Lutheran University as a Campus Minister in August of 2018 will be ordained on Nov. 2, the final day of the Day of the Dead. Ordination is a ceremony to initiate leaders in the Lutheran church.

A native of Pasadena, California, Salazar-Davidson was not involved in the church and had no religious affiliation growing up. It wasnโ€™t until she was 22-years-old at a Christian camp in Big Bear that she came to find the church through the act of communion. ย 

A new era: New Campus Minister Hazel Salazar-Davidson will be ordained at Cal Lutheran on Nov. 2, the last day of the Mexican celebration of Dia de los Muertos, because of the dayโ€™s special significance for her.  Photo courtesy of Campus Ministry.
    A new era: New Campus Minister Hazel Salazar-Davidson will be ordained at Cal Lutheran on Nov. 2, the last day of the Mexican celebration of Dia de los Muertos, because of the dayโ€™s special significance for her. Photo courtesy of Campus Ministry.

ย 

โ€œI remember the pastor talking about the act of communion being an act of community,โ€ย  Salazar-Davidson said. โ€œI thought that was an amazing idea for life to work with each other to strive for peace, and it all started at the table. Thatโ€™s when I realized that I should become a Christian.โ€ย  ย  ย 

From there, Salazar-Davidson began traveling around the world doing missionary work but never considered being a pastor.

She met her husband, an Alaskan fisherman, in Southern California, where they lived until she was 33. After moving to her husbandโ€™s home state of Alaska, Salazar-Davidson continued to come back regularly to attend intensive seminar classes, simply because she found them โ€œfun.โ€

โ€œI began to consider becoming a candidate for ordination but hesitated because I didnโ€™t see a lot of people who looked like me in the Lutheran church,โ€ Salazar-Davidson said. โ€œThen, I went to a mission developer training where I met people who were like me and knew this was a community I wanted to be a part of.โ€ ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย 

But in April 2015, one Sunday after being commissioned to be a mission developer, Salazar-Davidson lost her husband in a car accident, leaving her and their three children behind.

โ€œAt that point, I thought that I was not called to be a pastor,โ€ an emotional Salazar-Davidson said. โ€œI thought it was wrong, so I told the church that I donโ€™t think I could be a pastor anymore and they told me, โ€˜No, youโ€™re our pastor and we love you and want to help you.โ€™โ€

With some encouragement, the church got Salazar-Davidson to help organize a Day of the Dead event to help others, and herself heal and remember her husband. The end of the event included communion, where once again she realized something very special.

โ€œI recognized again, in that special moment that we are all at the table,โ€ Salazar-Davidson said. โ€œEven though we canโ€™t see those that have passed, we are with each other anyway and thatโ€™s the way that God is constantly blessing us.โ€

Now, three years later, Salazar-Davidson looks to start a new chapter on a very special day.

โ€œWhen I asked my 8-year-old son what day I should be ordained on,โ€ Salazar-Davidson said with a tear in her eye, โ€œhe said he wanted me to be ordained on Day of the Dead, because thatโ€™s when dad would be here.โ€

Without hesitation, University Pastor Scott Maxwell-Doherty said yes.

โ€œI was thrilled when she made the immediate request to have her ordination here,โ€ Maxwell-Doherty said. โ€œAnd to choose a critical intersection in her faith life to be ordained on a day of remembrance of her husband and have it be a part of her ordination, itโ€™s a rich fabric of how she understands ministry.โ€

Only in her third month at Cal Lutheran, Salazar-Davidson is already deeply involved and making an impact.

โ€œShe brings a different kind of energy and is full of ideas,โ€ said Campus Ministry Administrative Assistant Elizabeth Lohr-Myers. โ€œAll of her tough experiences have contributed to making her very open and gives her a lot of empathy which is huge in a college community.โ€

Salazar-Davidson is organizing the Dia de los Muertos celebration to bring the tradition to the Cal Lutheran community.ย 

โ€œHazel provides us access into a different endeavor of the university in ways that we have not yet begun to imagine,โ€ Maxwell-Doherty said. โ€œThatโ€™s an awesome access to have.โ€

In just nine weeks on campus, Salazar-Davidson has already been accepted by that โ€œcommunityโ€ that she had yearned for so deeply.

โ€œJust watching her move around campus, people across the way are already calling out to her by name and waving,โ€ Maxwell-Doherty said. โ€œIt just shows that sheโ€™s already been adopted and sheโ€™s one of us.โ€

Salazar-Davidsonโ€™s ordination is scheduled for Friday, Nov. 2, at 5 p.m. in Samuelson Chapel and live-streamed on the Cal Lutheran website at callutheran.edu/live ย  ย 

โ€œIโ€™m excited because the ordination isnโ€™t just about me, itโ€™s for the whole community,โ€ Salazar-Davidson said. โ€œThen we get to be all together, here on the campus, as one community.โ€

Scott Roberts

Reporterย