Campus, Community Updates in Wake of Shooting

The community of Thousand Oaks and California Lutheran University have mobilized in response to the tragic mass shooting at the Borderline Bar and Grill Wednesday night. The Cal Lutheran campus will host several events toย support the community members who have been affected.

Classes have been canceled Nov. 8-9.

The Cal Lutheran community gathered in Samuelson Chapel at 11:30 a.m. for a special chapel service that was standing-room only. Pastor Melissa Maxwell-Doherty said that โ€œremembering is holy workโ€ and that we need to remember to use our voices to sing, our arms to cling to each other and to sit in stillness.

Students and community members congregated outside of Samuelson Chapel. During the chapel service, Rabbi Belle gave a prayer that asked for โ€œThe holy one who makes peace in heaven, make peace for us on Earth.โ€

The hashtag #CLUStrong isย being used for community members to stay up to date on news and offer support.

Blood drives are taking place at:

– Harleyโ€™s Bowl West, Simi Valley 9 a.m.-1 p.m. today and tomorrow at 10 a.m.

– Ventura County Healthcare Agencyย  ย 

– Best Western, 75 W. Thousand Oaks Blvd. (reached donation capacity)

– La Reina High Schoolย (reached donation capacity) but will open again tomorrow 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.ย 

-Red Cross blood drive at Cal Lutheran Nov. 10 in Lundring Events Center, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Register to donate bloodย hereย 

Vigils and gatherings will take place Thursday at the following locations, and Samuelson Chapel will be open all day Nov. 8-9 for grief counseling:

– 6 p.m. rosary at Samuelson Chapelย 

– 7:30 p.m. candlelight gathering at Samuelson Chapelย 

6 p.m. community vigil at Thousand Oaks City Hallย 

Other campus updates:

– Forrest Fitness Center remains open and yoga classย will still meetย at 5:15 p.m. Nov. 8

– The fall play “Columbinus,” which details the massacre at Columbine High School, has been postponed

– The Cal Lu Improv Troupe show has been postponed

– Senior night Nov. 9 at Ciscoโ€™s Mexican Restaurant has been cancelledย 

– The Arete Vocal Ensemble concert scheduled for Nov. 11 is cancelled; those who purchased tickets willย be reimbursed

Resources on campus:

Counseling and Psychological Servicesย ย 

CARE Teamย 

Campus Ministryย 

Local resources:

– Ventura County Sheriffโ€™sย Office has posted an information hotline at 805-465-6650

ย This article was updated Nov. 9 at 11 a.m. to add the location of the on-campus blood drive .

Krystal Rhaburn
    Distribution & Production Manager

Nicki Schedler
    Features Editor