The Habit is opening at Cal Lutheran

Caption%3A+Students+waited+in+line+for+their+free+meals+at+the+first+soft+opening+of+The+Habit+Burger+Grill+on+Monday%2C+Nov.+11.+Vouchers+were+given+out+to+the+first+200+students+that+attended.+

Photo by Gabrielle Renteria- Reporter

Caption: Students waited in line for their free meals at the first soft opening of The Habit Burger Grill on Monday, Nov. 11. Vouchers were given out to the first 200 students that attended.

Gabrielle Renteria, Reporter

The smell of burgers filled the air as students lined up to get a taste of the new dining option at California Lutheran University. On Monday, Nov. 11, The Habit Burger Grill hosted a soft opening, giving out free burgers, fries and drinks to the first 200 students in line.

The event was a collaboration between The Habit and Associated Students of California Lutheran University, as a preview for the full opening of the restaurant on Monday, Nov. 18.ย 

โ€œ[The Habit] reached out to us to help market towards the student body. We wanted to help them get excited and ready to come out and try,โ€ Junior Representative Azubah Collins said.ย 

Collins said despite late notice for the event, the turnout was higher than expected. There were two openings on Monday, one at 11:30 a.m. and one at 5 p.m.

โ€œWe only did posters and social media advertising, so I was glad the event got as widespread as it did,โ€ Collins said.

According to some students in line for burgers, the ASCLUG Instagram account is the place to go to find the best events on campus. First-year student Gianni Mendez said she checks the page to look for events that fit with her schedule.

โ€œI mainly look for stuff that is in the morning and has free food…so this was pretty perfect,โ€ Mendez said.ย 

Commuter student Melissa Romero said it is difficult to purchase meals during the school day for those who do not live on campus. She said having a restaurant option on campus will make her life easier.

โ€œIโ€™m always on campus during the times I eat, so it will be nice to have something besides a smoothie or Ullman [Commons],โ€ Romero said.

Other students came to the event to socialize. First-year student Erika Weis said she likes coming to these events to see โ€œwhatโ€™s up.โ€

โ€œI like coming to the events to see whoโ€™s there and getting involved, you know, becoming one with the Cal Lu community,โ€ Weis said.

Students also expressed excitement about a new hangout spot on campus, especially in the evening, as The Habit will be open until 10 p.m. most nights.

โ€œSometimes the library is too quiet, and Starbucks doesnโ€™t have any tables open, so hopefully I’ll be able to meet with friends and study here,โ€ junior student Bruno Casaca said.

Casaca said he was also excited for new cuisine on campus.ย 

โ€œWhen I get stuck between campus and work, and I donโ€™t have time to go home, I hate eating on campus. But Iโ€™m hoping this [The Habit] makes it better,โ€ Casaca said.ย 

Regular hours for The Habit start Nov. 18. The restaurant will be open 10:30 a.m. to 10 p.m., Monday through Friday, and 10:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.